Motor lowers a mass over a pulley, find acceleration of mass

I would write the answer as 0.2 m/s^2 downward, or -0.2 downward, or -0.2 j.In summary, the problem involves determining the acceleration of a 1200kg mass being lowered by a motor, using the given values of tension, moment of inertia, and radius. The correct equation is Ia/r^2+ma=mg-T2, and the resulting value for acceleration is -0.2 m/s^2 downward.
Nicoleeeeeee

Homework Statement

When the motor in the figure below lowers the m = 1200kg mass, it produces a tension of 1.15E+4N in the cable on the right side of the pulley. The pulley has a moment of inertia of 71.3kgm^2 and a radius of 0.794m. The cable rides over the pulley without slipping. Determine the acceleration of the m = 1200kg mass. Use g=9.81m/s^2.
196477-5f4b990a5435d60fe46b545f9c56439f.jpg

Homework Equations

torque = I * alpha
torque = F*r
alpha = a/r[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

T1=mg-ma

torque=(T1-T2)r

Ia/r=(T1-T2)r
Ia/r^2=mg-ma-T2
Ia/r^2+ma=mg-T2
a=(mg-T2)/(I/r^2 + m)
a=0.198m/s^2[/B]

This is the incorrect answer and the acceleration should be negative since it is going down. I don't know where I'm going wrong.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-19_20-57-38.png
    upload_2017-10-19_20-57-38.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 523
Physics news on Phys.org
Your derivation looks correct. When I put in the numbers, I got a slightly higher value than you. Redo the numbers without rounding off. I do mine on a spreadsheet. Maybe your answer was just outside the tolerance of the answer-checking algorithm.

Don't confuse acceleration with velocity. The fact that the velocity is negative does not necessarily mean that the acceleration is also negative. The speed may be decreasing while the mass is descending which means the acceleration is "up". However, here the acceleration is actually down. When you wrote the equation T1 - mg = -ma, the negative sign on the right side means "down" while symbol "a" stands for the magnitude of the acceleration, which you expect to come out positive when you substitute numbers. If it came out negative, then this would mean that you chose the direction incorrectly and the acceleration is actually "up".

kuruman said:
When I put in the numbers, I got a slightly higher value than you.
Same here, but it is not really meaningful. The calculation involves taking the difference of two numbers that only differ by a couple of percent. The consequence is that there is barely one digit of precision left. The answer could be ±20%.
Maybe that's the reason for the rejection. Try just 0.2, or -0.2.

haruspex said:
Try just 0.2, or -0.2.
I would try -0.2 first. Note that the question does not ask for the magnitude of the acceleration. If it is well-written, the scoring algorithm expects an answer that indicates knowledge of the vector nature of the acceleration.

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in a motor-pulley system?

The formula for calculating acceleration in a motor-pulley system is a = (T - m*g)/m, where T is the tension in the string, m is the mass of the object being lowered, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the mass of the object being lowered affect the acceleration?

The mass of the object being lowered has a direct impact on the acceleration. The larger the mass, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. This means that a heavier object will have a lower acceleration compared to a lighter object in the same motor-pulley system.

3. Can the acceleration of the mass be negative in a motor-pulley system?

Yes, the acceleration of the mass can be negative in a motor-pulley system. This would occur if the tension in the string is less than the weight of the mass, causing the mass to decelerate or move in the opposite direction.

4. How does the angle of the pulley affect the acceleration of the mass?

The angle of the pulley can affect the acceleration of the mass. For a vertical pulley, the acceleration will be equal to the formula mentioned in question 1. However, for a horizontal pulley, the acceleration will be reduced by the sine of the angle of the string with respect to the horizontal plane.

5. Is there a way to increase the acceleration of the mass in a motor-pulley system?

Yes, there are a few ways to increase the acceleration of the mass in a motor-pulley system. One way is to increase the tension in the string by increasing the force applied by the motor. Another way is to decrease the mass of the object being lowered. Additionally, reducing friction in the pulley system can also increase the acceleration.