Learn How to Create Caltech Homepage Style Navigation

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    caltech
In summary: It seems so much more efficient and user-friendly than frames or DHTML.In summary, the person is trying to design their first website, but doesn't know how to do it. They've been searching for hours and found a website on www.caltech.edu that they want to copy, but don't know how to do it. They found the creator of the website, but don't want to bother them. They found a way to do it using Javascript and DOM.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I'm designing my first website and I found something I want to do, but don't know how to do it.
On www.caltech.edu, clicking a section of the navigation bar (ex. About Caltech) opens a sub menu (of links) without reloading the page. This is what I want to do. I've been searching for hours with no luck. From what I've gathered, this can maybe be done with
DHTML- floating layers and turning visibility on/off or
Javascript and imbedded images or
iframe.
But I have no idea what any of those involves. Er, did I mention I'm still learning? :redface:
I just want to know how they did it- or how it can be done. If someone can point me in the right direction, I can learn the rest. I found the guy who created the page, but I really don't want to bother him- so I'm bothering you guys & gals instead :biggrin: Many thanks.
Happy thoughts
Rachel

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried to
Right click -> view source

if you see any .js file reference download that too!

There are a couple of ways to go about this:

1. Use Frames - This is the easy way, but can get messy to manage.
2. Javascript and DOM (Document Object Model) - This is more difficult but easier to manage.

If you use windows you might have encountered the registry. Basically when your browser downloads an html file it parses the keywords and puts in a registry(tree) type format. You can go to START->RUN and type regedit to see the registry.

Each node can have a parent, children or siblings. Once you get down to the lowest level of the tree structure you'll find that the nodes have keys with values. When the browser draws a webpage it is constantly reading from the tree and updating based on what is there.

One of the things you can do with javascript is replace, delete or add nodes in the tree. By doing this you can modify portions of the website on the fly without downloading a new html file and then refreshing the whole page.

Resources:

http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/htmldom/default.asp
http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/dom_shortIX.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I can tell they use JS. Thanks again.
I can't help but wonder why more people aren't using this??

1) What is Caltech Homepage Style Navigation?

Caltech Homepage Style Navigation is a design style commonly used on websites to create a clean and organized navigation menu. It is often characterized by a horizontal menu bar at the top of the page with drop-down menus for subcategories.

2) How can I learn to create Caltech Homepage Style Navigation?

There are many online resources available that provide step-by-step guides and tutorials on how to create Caltech Homepage Style Navigation. Some popular options include YouTube tutorials, coding blogs, and online courses.

3) Do I need any specific coding knowledge to create Caltech Homepage Style Navigation?

Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript is required to create Caltech Homepage Style Navigation. However, there are also tools and templates available that can make the process easier for those with no coding experience.

4) Are there any benefits to using Caltech Homepage Style Navigation?

Yes, there are several benefits to using Caltech Homepage Style Navigation. It provides a clean and user-friendly navigation experience for website visitors, making it easier for them to find the information they are looking for. It also allows for a more organized and visually appealing website design.

5) Can I customize the Caltech Homepage Style Navigation to fit my website's design?

Yes, you can customize the Caltech Homepage Style Navigation to fit your website's design. The structure and functionality can be adjusted using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and the colors and fonts can be changed to match your website's branding.