What nuclei are stable against beta decay?

In summary, odd-odd nuclei are generally unstable against beta decay due to a negative pairing term in the semi-empirical mass formula. Even-even nuclei are generally stable, while even-odd and odd-even nuclei follow different rules. The mass difference between two nuclei, when greater than an electron mass and with a charge difference of 1, can result in beta decay. Atomic masses, which include the masses of atomic electrons, can be looked up in tables for most isotopes. The semi-empirical mass formula can give approximate results but may not be very accurate. It is best to consult with your instructor for guidance on which method to use for specific calculations.
Onias
I know odd-odd nuclei are generally unstable against beta decay as the pairing term in the semi-empirical mass formula is less than zero, and I know even-even nuclei are generally stable, but I don't get the rules you apply for even-odd or odd-even nuclei. Do you have to work out the binding energy for beta +, beta - and electron capture daughter nuclei?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not the binding energy. If the mass difference between two nuclei is greater than an electron mass, (and the charge difference is 1) beta decay can occur.

Meir Achuz said:
If the mass difference between two nuclei is greater than an electron mass, (and the charge difference is 1) beta decay can occur.

Note the added emphasis.

Beware that what you find in tables is generally the atomic mass which includes the masses of the atomic electrons. If the difference in atomic mass (final - initial) is negative, then beta decay can occur. See this post.

I assume that you calculate the masses using the semi-empirical mass formula, correct?

No, you look up the masses.

Onias said:
I assume that you calculate the masses using the semi-empirical mass formula, correct?

No, you look them up in a table of measured values. Atomic masses for most isotopes (except the very short-lived ones) have been measured to many significant figures. See here for example:

http://ie.lbl.gov/toimass.html

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great. I'm actually taking an examination soon. I hope the teacher is accommodating :) Hypothetically, though, if there weren't any tables in the exam, would I use the semi-empirical mass formula? Thanks again.

You had best ask your instructor about this. The answer depends on his goals for this course.

The semi-empirical mass formula gives only approximate results for the mass of any specific isotope. For calculating decay energies etc., I personally would use only tabulated masses, and provide my students with a table if they need it. However, your instructor may see some pedagogical value in using the semi-empirical formula for this, even though the results may not be very accurate.

1. What is beta decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a nucleus emits a beta particle, which can be either an electron or a positron, in order to become more stable.

2. What is a stable nucleus?

A stable nucleus is one that does not undergo spontaneous radioactive decay and can exist indefinitely without changing into a different element.

3. What determines if a nucleus is stable against beta decay?

The stability of a nucleus against beta decay is determined by the ratio of neutrons to protons in the nucleus. Nuclei with a balanced ratio of neutrons to protons are typically more stable.

4. How can we predict if a nucleus is stable against beta decay?

We can use the "belt of stability" on the chart of nuclides to predict the stability of a nucleus. Nuclei located within the belt of stability are typically stable against beta decay.

5. What are some factors that can affect the stability of a nucleus against beta decay?

The number of protons and neutrons in a nucleus, the nuclear binding energy, and the half-life of the nucleus are all factors that can affect the stability of a nucleus against beta decay.