Neutral pion 2 gamma decay question

In summary, we discussed the use of the axial current matrix element in neutral pion decay calculations and its connection to chiral symmetry, as well as the use of the charged pion decay constant in neutral pion decay calculations.
adam2eden
I've been reading some books on how neutral pion decay proceeds through chiral anomaly recently. What I found wired is people always use the matrix element of the axial current between vacuum and a pion as granted, saying the matrix element should be a vector and the pion momentum is the only vector one can use so we have <vac|[itex]J_{\mu5a}[/itex]|[itex]\pi^b(p)[/itex]> = [itex]-i p_\mu \delta_{ab} f_\pi[/itex]. But if you take the divergence of this, you get the [itex] {m_\pi}^2 f_\pi[/itex] which equals zero in chiral limit. This is not true in the case of pion 2 photon decay since when the current is coupled to electromagnetic fields the divergence of the axial current is non-zero and proportional to [itex] E \bullet B[/itex]. Another question I have is why the pion decay constant from charged pion decay can be used to calculate neutral pion decay width and get the correct result. Someone help here?

Physics news on Phys.org

As a fellow scientist, I find your observations and questions about neutral pion decay and the use of the axial current matrix element very interesting. The chiral anomaly is a complex phenomenon and it's important for scientists to continue exploring and questioning it in order to deepen our understanding.

Regarding the use of the axial current matrix element, I believe the reason for its common use is because it follows from the chiral symmetry of QCD. In the chiral limit, the divergence of the axial current does indeed vanish, but this is not the case for physical pions. The pion mass and decay constant break the chiral symmetry and allow for a non-zero divergence. This is why the axial current matrix element is used in calculations and it has been found to give accurate results.

As for your second question about using the pion decay constant from charged pion decay to calculate the neutral pion decay width, I believe this is possible because the charged and neutral pion decays are related by isospin symmetry. This symmetry allows for the use of the charged pion decay constant in neutral pion decay calculations. However, it's important to note that this is just an approximation and there are other factors that can affect the decay width.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions. The chiral anomaly is a fascinating topic and I encourage you to continue exploring and questioning it. Who knows, your observations and questions may lead to new insights and discoveries in this field.

1. What is the process of neutral pion 2 gamma decay?

The neutral pion 2 gamma decay is a type of radioactive decay where a neutral pion (a subatomic particle made up of a combination of up and down quarks) decays into two gamma rays (high-energy photons). This process occurs due to the weak interaction, where one of the quarks in the pion transforms into a different type of quark, emitting the two gamma rays in the process.

2. What is the significance of neutral pion 2 gamma decay in particle physics?

Neutral pion 2 gamma decay is important in understanding the weak interaction and the behavior of subatomic particles. It is also used in experiments to study the properties of the neutral pion and to test the predictions of quantum field theory.

3. How does the energy of the gamma rays produced in neutral pion 2 gamma decay compare to the energy of the initial pion?

The energy of the gamma rays produced in neutral pion 2 gamma decay is equal to the mass of the pion multiplied by the speed of light squared (E=mc²). This means that the energy of the gamma rays is lower than the energy of the initial pion, as some of the pion's mass is converted into energy during the decay process.

4. Can neutral pion 2 gamma decay occur in isolation?

No, neutral pion 2 gamma decay cannot occur in isolation as it requires the weak interaction, which only occurs when there is a change in the type of quark in a particle. This change can only happen when there are other particles present, such as in a particle accelerator or in the decay of a larger particle.

5. How is neutral pion 2 gamma decay related to the conservation of energy and momentum?

Neutral pion 2 gamma decay follows the law of conservation of energy and momentum. This means that the total energy and momentum of the initial pion must be equal to the total energy and momentum of the gamma rays and any other particles involved in the decay process. In other words, energy and momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.