Beta plus decay: mass balance?

In summary, the conversation discusses beta plus decay, specifically the process of a proton converting into three different particles (a neutron, positron, and electron-neutrino) and the need for external energy to occur. The concept is further explained through the equation E=mc2 and the understanding that heavier nuclei can undergo beta-plus decay if the original nucleus has a higher binding energy. The conversation ends with a clarification of the confusion and gratitude for the explanation.
Chem.Stud.
Hi:

I am taking a radiochemistry class, and I am confused by beta plus decay.

(1) p --> n + positron + electron-neutrino

The mass of a proton is less than the mass of a neutron. In addition, the neutrino has mass as does the positron.

(2) E = mc2

There must be come sort of balance, must there not? Mass cannot be created unless energy is consumed. So where does the nuclei get the energy from to convert a single proton into three different particles, one of which has a larger mass than the proton itself?

I hope I have made my confusion understandable. Also, my macbook would not let me use the greek characters or sub- and superscript.

Anders

Physics news on Phys.org
The beta-plus decay cannot occur in a single proton due to the need for energy to be supplied from some external source.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_decay

In heavier nuclei, beta-plus decay can occur if the original nucleus has a higher binding energy than the nucleus which remains after the emission of the beta-plus particle.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you for your help.

1. What is beta plus decay?

Beta plus decay, also known as positron emission, is a type of radioactive decay in which a proton in the nucleus of an atom is converted into a neutron, emitting a positron (a positively charged particle) and a neutrino.

2. How does beta plus decay affect the mass of an atom?

Beta plus decay results in a decrease in the mass number of an atom, as a proton is converted into a neutron. However, the atomic number remains the same. This means that the resulting atom is a different isotope of the same element.

3. What is the role of the neutrino in beta plus decay?

The neutrino is a neutral particle that is emitted during beta plus decay. It carries away some of the energy released during the decay process, helping to balance the energy and momentum conservation laws.

4. How is the mass balance maintained in beta plus decay?

The mass balance is maintained through the conversion of a proton into a neutron, resulting in a decrease in the mass number of the atom. The remaining energy and momentum are carried away by the emitted positron and neutrino.

5. What are some practical applications of beta plus decay?

Beta plus decay is used in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, where a radioactive isotope is injected into the body and its decay is detected to create images of internal organs and tissues. It is also used in the production of certain medical isotopes for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.