Weight needed to launch object to a certain height

In summary: height, you would need to use a heavier mass than the one that was used to create the kinetic energy.
njr140
Hi, I'm a first time poster here and I have a physics question I can't find the answer to anywhere. I don't know much about physics so this might be a basic question to answer.

I have a mass (x) that is attached to a cable that is attached to a counterweight that is at 10 feet that will be dropped to ground level via a pulley at the top. The cable will release x once it reaches the end of the launch track and the object will go vertical with the maxium amount of kinetic energy. The launch would occur horizontally and the object would then go vertical.

X needs to reach a certain height (z) (10 vertical feet). I don't know how fast the mass would be moving; it would depend on the speed of the counterweight dropping freely with gravity.

As of now, I don't need friction or air resistance factored in, just the weight.

The question I have is, if you have a variable mass (x), how much counterweight (y) will you need to launch the object 10 feet (z)?

I have created a GIF to give a visual since it's kind of hard to explain what I mean.
http://s27.postimg.org/ml4madh83/output_xd_Ooc_F.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Use conservation of energy to get a minimum weight needed.

If you want to launch mass m directly upwards to a height h, that takes energy mgh where g is the acceleration of gravity.

This energy is being supplied by mass x falling distance y ... it's the same equation: xgy.

In your case, y=h, so x=m.
This is with no friction or other losses.

How much do we know about the length of the cord that connects mass X to mass Y? As drawn, it seems that the cord length is greater than 20 feet.

If that is correct then what is the speed of mass X at the moment that mass Y touches down? In particular, is that speed adequate to propel mass X 10 feet in the air?

Yes, the cord would be greater than 20 feet. The speed is unknown. Thats what I'm trying to figure out. I need to know the weight of y would be to provide whatever speed is needed to launch x to 10 feet.

It is complicated by not knowing the mass density of the tether.

I need to know the weight of y would be to provide whatever speed is needed to launch x to 10 feet.
... helps to be consistent though.

if you want to throw mass x, vertically, to a height of 10', using the energy from dropping a mass y by 10', then you need at least y=x.

How much more mass y you need depends on the tether mass, friction, and other losses.
Weigh the tether (rope? chain? string?) and divide that weight by the length.
You can also try different masses for y and measure how high x gets - plot a graph.

If you are trying to design an alternative to a trebuchet, you need to bear in mind that it could be pretty inefficient - i.e. the mechanical energy supplied by the falling mass will probably need to be severals times greater than the kinetic energy that actually gets delivered to the projectile. To be 100% efficient, the falling mass should end up stationary, having delivered all its energy (that's before it hits the bottom of its travel). Perhaps the falling mass should have a curved track, too.
I notice that your X travels a lot further than your Y (?). In fact, looking at your diagram, there is no Velocity Multiplication so X will never end up higher than 10+10 ft. You must have a lever, gears or some pulleys to make X travel faster than Y so it can go higher than Y falls. Look at Trebuchet designs - very effective before gunpowder came along.

njr140 said:
Yes, the cord would be greater than 20 feet. The speed is unknown. Thats what I'm trying to figure out. I need to know the weight of y would be to provide whatever speed is needed to launch x to 10 feet.

Given this clarification, it is impossible. x will never even reach the top of the launch track.

The velocity ([itex]v_y[/itex]) of y when it touches down will be something less than [itex]\sqrt{2gh}[/itex]. The velocity ([itex]v_x[/itex]) of x at that instant will be the same. The height that x can reach (measured from the ground) is then given by [itex]\frac{{v_x}^2}{2g}[/itex].

That's [itex]\frac{something less than\sqrt{2gh}^2}{2g}[/itex] which will be less than h.

@njr
I think you have done a thought experiment and you have not actually included the basics of mechanics in it. That's very easy to do if you do not have the 'Physicist Habit'.
The basic principle is that you can never get more energy out than you put in; mostly you get much less. For your projectile to reach a certain height from where it started, it will need a minimum of mgh energy. If this energy comes from giving it an initial upward velocity then that velocity must be √2gh. A falling mass, from the same height could transfer some of its kinetic energy to you projectile but it cannot easily give it enough, without, as I wrote before, some lever or gearing.
Your question is too open and, so far, your model will not really work. Where do you want to start, to improve on it?

1. How does weight affect the launch of an object to a certain height?

The weight of an object affects the amount of force needed to launch it to a certain height. The heavier the object, the more force is required to overcome its weight and lift it to the desired height.

2. What is the formula for calculating the weight needed to launch an object to a certain height?

The formula for calculating the weight needed to launch an object to a certain height is W = mgh, where W is the weight in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the desired height in meters.

3. How does the height of the launch affect the weight needed?

The higher the desired launch height, the more weight is needed to overcome gravity and reach that height. This is due to the fact that as the object is launched higher, it must also travel a longer distance, thus requiring more force to overcome its weight.

4. What other factors besides weight can affect the launch of an object to a certain height?

Other factors that can affect the launch of an object to a certain height include the angle of launch, air resistance, and the strength of the launch mechanism. These factors can all impact the amount of force needed to lift an object to a specific height.

5. Is there a limit to the weight that can be launched to a certain height?

Yes, there is a limit to the weight that can be launched to a certain height. This limit is determined by the strength of the launch mechanism and the amount of force it can generate. If the weight of the object exceeds this limit, it will not be able to reach the desired height.