Average Wind Farm Size & Energy Production

In summary,The average size for a wind turbine is between 10-kW to 5-MW. They produce energy by dropping a column of air through blades, and the average air column is around .5-miles long on average.
optimizer
Hi,
With all the wind farms being put into production recently, does anyone know what the average size generally is. I see they are generally between 10-kW to 5-MW, quite a difference, so I would think the large ones can only be used in certain places and need to be spaced apart more - but I could be wrong, and they might be trying to install bigger ones everywhere.
1/ What size do they generally use, and
2/ how many Joules do they produce per day (on average).
3/ How many pounds of air do they process to produce that energy.
Thanks
Links always welcome.
Physics Dummy as always (but less so with more posts/answers!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Employed today are two kinds if I were to categorize them myself. There is the one-giant-huge-wind-generator, and there is the very-large-array-wind-generator. The one huge generators usually are out in the ocean somewhere off the coast of Spain, the Netherlands, or in the Gulf of Mexico. The very large arrays are a lot of smaller ones. They are probably a little bit taller than telephone poles? Both kinds are VERY loud.

It's the average sized one I'm trying to get the information on (?kW ?MW ?).
Maybe there is an average for offshore and an average for onshore.

1/ What size do they generally use, and
2/ how many Joules do they produce per day (on average).
3/ How many pounds of air do they process to produce that energy.

Yes, I know air is generally a volume, but I'm trying to relate it to a weight dropping in gravity.

There is a force of air pushing the blades that could be measured in ft lbs.

I suppose I'm trying to think of it / translate it as a column of air dropping through a blade (or a blade dropping thru a column of air), and how long the column of air is on an average day.

Maybe I'm not getting anywhere on this one, so back to the drawing board. :uhh:

I am interested in the averages (onshore / offshore), and the Joules, and the volume per day.

Thanks

1. What is the average size of a wind farm?

The average size of a wind farm varies greatly depending on location and technology used. However, according to the American Wind Energy Association, the average wind farm size in the United States in 2020 was around 115 megawatts, with some larger projects reaching up to 500 megawatts.

2. How much energy does the average wind farm produce?

The amount of energy produced by a wind farm also varies based on location and technology. On average, a 1 megawatt wind turbine can produce enough electricity to power around 300 homes. Therefore, a 115 megawatt wind farm could potentially power around 34,500 homes.

3. What factors determine the size of a wind farm?

The size of a wind farm is determined by several factors, including available land, wind resources, and technology. Wind farms require a large area of land with consistent wind speeds in order to be effective. Additionally, advancements in technology have allowed for larger and more efficient turbines, increasing the potential size of wind farms.

4. How does the size of a wind farm affect its energy production?

The size of a wind farm directly affects its energy production. A larger wind farm with more turbines will produce more energy than a smaller wind farm with fewer turbines. This is because more turbines can capture more wind and convert it into electricity.

5. How does the energy production of wind farms compare to other sources?

Compared to other sources of energy, wind farms have the potential to produce a significant amount of electricity. According to the International Renewable Energy Agency, wind energy accounted for 8.7% of global electricity generation in 2020. This is projected to increase as wind technology continues to advance and more wind farms are built.