What is the Integral Mean Value Theorem for Continuous Functions?

In summary, if the functions g:[a,b] --> R and h:[a,b] --> R are continuous, and h(x)\geq0 for all x in [a,b], then there is a point c in (a,b) such that g(c)=h(c).
WHOAguitarninja
Prove that if the functions g:[a,b] --> R and h:[a,b] --> R are continuous, with h(x)[tex]\geq[/tex]0 for all x in [a,b] then there is a point c in (a,b) such that

[tex]\int h(x)g(x)dx = g(c) \int h(x)dx [/tex]
when the integrals go from a to b

---
My immediate thought was Integral MVT, so I said

[tex] \int h(x)dx = (b-a)*h(c)[/tex]

I then multiply by some g(c') with c' in (a,b), to obtain

[tex]g(c') \int h(x)dx = (b-a)*h(c)*g(c')[/tex]

I'd then like to conclude
[tex](b-a)*h(c)*g(c') = \int h(x)*g(x) [/tex]
But I'm almost 100% positive that's not a valid step for c'=c, and then I'm not really using the integral MVT if I use c'=/= c.

My thoughts on this are that I'd like to show that because h and g are continuous there is some other number c'' in (a,b) such that h(c)*g(c')=h(c'')*g(c''), and that is equal to the integral I'm looking for. I also have so far completely ignored h(x) being greater than or equal to 0, and I'm pretty sure that should factor in in some way.

Also, this problem appears in a section about the Cauchy Integral Remainder Theorem, although this book frequently gives problems where the necessary theorems do not lie in the chapter you are on to keep you on your toes.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let M=max(g) and m=min(g) on [a,b]. Write bounds on the integral of g*h.

Dick said:
Let M=max(g) and m=min(g) on [a,b]. Write bounds on the integral of g*h.

Ah, good call, even simpler than I thought, thanks!

1. What is the "Proof of Integral Property"?

The "Proof of Integral Property" is a mathematical concept that states if the integral of a function is equal to zero, then the function itself must also be equal to zero. This property is used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and physics.

2. Why is the "Proof of Integral Property" important?

The "Proof of Integral Property" is important because it allows us to solve complex mathematical problems by simplifying them and reducing them to a known solution. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions and their relationship to their integrals.

3. How is the "Proof of Integral Property" used in calculus?

In calculus, the "Proof of Integral Property" is used to evaluate definite integrals. By using this property, we can simplify the integral and solve for the unknown variable. It is also used to prove the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states the relationship between differentiation and integration.

4. Can the "Proof of Integral Property" be applied to all functions?

Yes, the "Proof of Integral Property" can be applied to all continuous functions. However, it may not be applicable to functions with discontinuities or other special cases.

5. What are some real-world applications of the "Proof of Integral Property"?

The "Proof of Integral Property" has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate work, energy, and other physical quantities. It is also used in economic modeling to analyze changes in supply and demand curves. Additionally, it is used in signal processing to analyze and filter data.