Heating gases at constant pressure or constant volume?

In summary, when heating a gas by 10 degrees Celsius with the smallest amount of heat energy, it is better to do so at constant pressure rather than constant volume due to the smaller heat capacity. Another way to approach this is to consider the extra energy lost or gained when pressure or volume is constant.
twiztdlogik
if i was to heat a gas [any gas] by 10 degrees celcius, using the smallest amount of heat energy, would i be better off heating the gas at constant pressure or constant volume. i think constant pressure, however i don't know how to justify my answer...:confused:

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll want to look for the specific heat capacity of an ideal gas at constant volume and at constant pressure, and compare them. The smaller heat capacity means it takes less heat to raise the temperature of the gas by a chosen amount.

Alternatively, you could think about extra energy being lost or gained, for the cases where pressure is constant or volume is constant.

1. What is the difference between heating gases at constant pressure and constant volume?

When heating gases at constant pressure, the pressure remains constant while the volume increases. This is because the gas is allowed to expand and the energy from heat is used to increase the kinetic energy of the gas molecules. On the other hand, when heating gases at constant volume, the volume remains constant while the pressure increases. This is because the gas is not allowed to expand and the energy from heat is used to increase the frequency of collisions between gas molecules, thus increasing the pressure.

2. Which method is more commonly used in real-world applications?

Heating gases at constant pressure is more commonly used in real-world applications. This is because most industrial processes require a constant pressure to be maintained, and heating at constant pressure allows for more control over the system's pressure.

3. Why is the temperature change greater when heating gases at constant volume?

When heating gases at constant volume, the energy from heat is used to increase the kinetic energy of the gas molecules, resulting in a greater increase in temperature. However, when heating gases at constant pressure, some of the energy is used to do work on the gas as it expands, resulting in a smaller increase in temperature.

4. Is it possible to heat gases at both constant pressure and constant volume simultaneously?

No, it is not possible to heat gases at both constant pressure and constant volume simultaneously. This is because the two methods are opposing in nature - one allows for expansion while the other restricts it.

5. How does heating gases at constant pressure or constant volume affect the internal energy of the gas?

Heating gases at constant pressure or constant volume increases the internal energy of the gas. This is because the energy from heat is used to increase the kinetic energy of the gas molecules, thus increasing the internal energy of the gas.