Where are the limits being taken in these thermodynamics equations?

zenterix
TL;DR Summary
In a passage in the book Heat and Thermodynamics by Zemansky, the notation omits the variable for which limits are being taken. I would like to understand the limits better.
Here is a passage from a book I am reading

1699754445683.png

1699754474593.png

My question is about the limits.

Are all the limits in the derivation above done for ##P_{TP}\to 0##?

In particular, is it ##\lim\limits_{P_{TP}\to 0} (Pv)## that appears above?

The author omits this information in all but the first limit and it got me confused.

Here is a bit more context now to show why this has me confused.

Just before the equations above, the book writes of the fact that if we plot ##Pv## against ##P## for different gases at a specific temperature, we see that for all of the gases the limiting value of ##Pv## as ##P\to 0## is the same.

Here is an example at the boiling point of water

1699754735106.png

Here is my attempt at explaining away the confusion

The ideal-gas temperature definition involves a limit in which we compute the value of ##P/P_{TP}## as ##P_{TP}## is made to approach zero at constant volume.

The way I understand this, a constant volume pressure thermometer is used. We have some particular temperature that we would like to measure, for example that of steam.

Now, in order to make ##P_{TP}## smaller, in each successive measurement we have the same volume of gas in the thermometer but we remove some gas from the thermometer: this way, the triple point of water is reached at a lower pressure for the same constant volume.

As we make these successive measurements, I think that the pressure ##P## associated with the steam will also be lower and will approach zero just like ##P_{TP}## (even though the ratio of these two pressures will approach a non-zero value).

Thus, it seems that ##\lim\limits_{P\to 0} (Pv)## is the same as ##\lim\limits_{P_{TP}\to 0} (Pv)##.

Is this what is happening?

1. What are the fundamental limits of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is governed by the laws of thermodynamics, which set fundamental limits on the behavior of energy and matter in a system. These laws dictate that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How do thermodynamic limits affect energy efficiency?

Thermodynamic limits play a crucial role in determining the maximum efficiency of energy conversion processes. For example, the Carnot efficiency sets a theoretical upper limit on the efficiency of heat engines operating between two temperature reservoirs.

3. Are there practical limitations to thermodynamic processes?

While thermodynamic laws set theoretical limits, practical limitations such as friction, heat loss, and irreversibilities in processes can reduce the efficiency of real-world systems. Engineers strive to minimize these limitations to improve the performance of thermodynamic processes.

4. How do thermodynamic limits impact technological advancements?

Understanding thermodynamic limits is essential for designing efficient and sustainable technologies. By optimizing processes to approach these limits, engineers can develop more energy-efficient systems and reduce environmental impacts.

5. Can thermodynamic limits be surpassed?

While thermodynamic limits are fundamental constraints, researchers continue to explore ways to push these limits through innovations such as advanced materials, new technologies, and novel approaches to energy conversion. However, surpassing these limits often requires significant advancements in scientific understanding and engineering capabilities.