Harmonic oscillator phase space integral

In summary, the original integral is solved by using the property of the Dirac Delta distribution and parameterizing the ellipse in phase space. This results in a simple line integral, with the answer being 2\pi / \omega\; f(E).
Evertje
Hi all,

I am having trouble with a certain integral, which I got from Quantum Physics by Le Bellac:
[tex]\int dxdp\;\delta\left( E - \frac{p^2}{2m} - \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2x^2 \right) f(E) [/tex]
The answer to this integral should be [tex] 2\pi / \omega\; f(E) [/tex].

My attempts so far:
This integral is basically a line integral around the perimeter of the (in general) ellipse traced out in phase space. Therefore I tried parameterizing the ellipse using x = acos(t) and p = bsin(t). From here, I've tried two different things:
1) Even though the original integral is 2D, I rewrite both dx and dy to dt, and then finally arrive at (since now the argument of the dirac delta is always equal to 0, along the curve):
[tex] -ab \int_0^{2\pi} sin(t)cos(t)dt = 0 [/tex]
2) Rewrite using the arc length segment
[tex] ds = \sqrt{ x'^2 + p'^2 } dt [/tex]
this results in a complicated integral, which I am unable to solve. Also, by trying to simply use approximations for the perimeter of an ellipse turns out in other answers :(.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a property of the Dirac Delta distribution that is worth remembering, and I think will help you greatly with this integral:

[tex]\delta(f(x))=\sum_i \frac{\delta(x-x_i)}{|f'(x_i)|}[/tex]

Where [itex]f(x)[/itex] is any continuously differentiable function, with roots (assumed to be simple) [itex]x_i[/itex].

Thanks a lot gabbagabbahey! I have solved the problem :)!

1. What is a harmonic oscillator phase space integral?

A harmonic oscillator phase space integral is a mathematical expression used to calculate the probability of a particle in a harmonic oscillator system being in a certain state. It takes into account the particle's position and momentum in phase space, which is a mathematical representation of all possible states of a system.

2. How is a harmonic oscillator phase space integral calculated?

A harmonic oscillator phase space integral is calculated by integrating the product of the particle's wave function and its complex conjugate over all possible positions and momenta in phase space. This integral gives the probability of the particle being in a particular state.

3. What is the significance of the phase space in a harmonic oscillator system?

The phase space in a harmonic oscillator system represents all possible states of the system, including the position and momentum of the particle. It allows us to visualize and analyze the behavior of the system over time, and is essential in calculating the probability of a particle being in a certain state.

4. How does the phase space change over time in a harmonic oscillator system?

In a harmonic oscillator system, the phase space remains constant over time. This is because the system follows simple harmonic motion, where the position and momentum of the particle oscillate between two values. This results in a closed trajectory in phase space, known as an ellipse.

5. What are some real-life examples of harmonic oscillator systems?

Some real-life examples of harmonic oscillator systems include a pendulum, a mass-spring system, and a vibrating guitar string. These systems exhibit simple harmonic motion, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium, making them ideal for studying the concepts of harmonic oscillators and phase space.