ChemE Student's Dilemma: Should I Pursue a PhD?

• Thread starter Acidcat.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the junior in a ChemE program says that she enjoys her classes more than her ChemE classes, but she would have to switch to chemistry if she were to continue her education. She doesn't hate engineering, but she prefers chemistry. She is worried about the difficulty of the chemistry major, but she is interested in oncology pharmocognetics and a 115k salary.
Acidcat.
Hello, I am a junior in a ChemE program right now and it is a lot more physics than I had imagined. I have some affinity for physics and my calc is strong, I am handling the coursework but I enjoy my chemistry classes much more than my Chem E classes. If I were to switch to chemistry I would be trying to get a PhD immediately because I am well aware that its kind of a joke and that you need the extra 4 years to actually learn wtf your talking about when it comes to sciences like these.
The chem E degree is an extra semester and summer compared to the BS in pure chem. I like the lab, I like biochemistry, I like plants, I don't know if engineering is for me. I don't HATE engineering i just enjoy chem more. I have always wanted to be an alchemist my entire life. If I do stick with engineering I was still looking to get a PhD in chemistry because I want to master it, I would just spend a few years in industry first. Med school may also be an option except I have a 3.0 and I'll have to work harder or something... its already pretty brutal.

Thank you for reading my first post

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the question?

what would you do?

what would I do? To be honest, you can try to convince yourself money doesn't make you happy. Study what you like then go work wherever you can; most likely it will be a job unrelated to chemistry, but it will pay the bills. You can be an alchemist on your own if you like to.

its 15K its not poverty vrs upper-class... I am worried about doing chemistry I don't give a **** about. What about oncology pharmocognetics, 115k ave salary. Chemistry is a profitable major if you devote yourself.

So you want to be an alchemist?

your a sharp one

I thought there were no more alchemist these days, guess I was wrong

1. What is the difference between a ChemE PhD and a ChemE Master's degree?

A ChemE PhD is a research-based degree that typically takes 4-6 years to complete and requires a dissertation. It provides a deeper understanding of the field and prepares students for careers in research and academia. A ChemE Master's degree is a coursework-based degree that can be completed in 1-2 years and does not require a dissertation. It is designed for students who want to gain advanced knowledge in chemical engineering or pursue a career in industry.

2. What opportunities will a ChemE PhD open up for me?

A ChemE PhD can open up a wide range of opportunities in both industry and academia. With this degree, you will have the skills and knowledge to conduct original research, develop new technologies, and solve complex problems in the field of chemical engineering. You can also pursue a career as a professor, where you will have the opportunity to teach and mentor future generations of engineers.

3. How long does it take to complete a ChemE PhD?

The length of a ChemE PhD program can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and writing and defending a dissertation. The exact time frame may also depend on the individual's research project and progress.

4. Will a ChemE PhD increase my earning potential?

Having a ChemE PhD can increase your earning potential in both industry and academia. According to a survey by the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, the median starting salary for chemical engineers with a PhD is higher than those with a bachelor's or master's degree. In academia, professors with a PhD typically earn higher salaries than those with a master's degree.

5. What factors should I consider when deciding whether to pursue a ChemE PhD?

When considering whether to pursue a ChemE PhD, you should consider your career goals, research interests, and personal motivations. A PhD program requires a significant commitment of time and resources, so it is important to be sure that it aligns with your long-term goals. You should also consider your passion for research, as a PhD program is heavily research-based. Additionally, consider the financial implications, as PhD programs may offer funding but may also require additional expenses such as relocation or conference travel.