Could dark matter be invisible bound states of ordinary matter or ehm, aliens?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of dark matter being composed of invisible bound states of ordinary matter. Some suggest that this could be a selection of known fundamental particles arranged in a new way, while others propose the existence of a different class of matter. The topic is considered speculative and there is a need for more research and evidence to support these theories.
Antti
I've thought about dark matter and I'm wondering if it could possible be made up invisible bouond states of ordinary matter? Wikipedia says "According to consensus among cosmologists, dark matter is composed primarily of a new, not yet characterized, type of subatomic particle." But why a totally new particle? Maybe some selection of known fundamental particles can arrange themselves in an undiscovered way such that they are bound to each other but do not emit or absorb light. Has this possibility been considered? If so, what were the results?

Also when thinking about this, I realized that the invisible bound states (or IBS as I would name them hehe) could pair up with other IBS much like atoms pair up with other atoms to form molecules. So there might be a totally different class of matter and maybe even life in deep space.

This is of course very exotic and speculative and I'm actually expecting someone to come and explain why it's all rubbish. But I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has sugested such an explanation and if there are any articles or something about it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Locked, pending moderation.

In the meantime, re-read the PF Rules that you had agreed to.

Zz.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that does not emit or interact with electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to traditional telescopes. It is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and is thought to be responsible for the observed gravitational effects on stars and galaxies.

2. What do you mean by "invisible bound states of ordinary matter"?

This theory suggests that dark matter may actually be made up of ordinary matter, such as protons and neutrons, that are bound together in a way that makes them invisible to traditional detection methods. These bound states could be formed through a variety of processes, such as through interactions with other particles or through the effects of gravity.

3. Can dark matter be made up of aliens?

While this is a popular and intriguing idea, there is currently no evidence to support the notion that dark matter is actually made up of alien life forms. Theories about dark matter being composed of ordinary matter or other exotic particles are still the most widely accepted explanations.

4. How would we detect or prove the existence of invisible bound states of ordinary matter?

There are several ongoing experiments and studies aimed at detecting dark matter, including using large particle accelerators, searching for evidence of dark matter interactions in space, and studying the effects of dark matter on the rotation of galaxies. If dark matter is indeed made up of invisible bound states of ordinary matter, these efforts may eventually provide evidence for their existence.

5. Could dark matter being invisible bound states of ordinary matter have implications for our understanding of the universe?

If this theory were proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could potentially change our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them. It could also shed light on the mysterious nature of dark matter and its role in the formation and evolution of the universe.