Two Frames of 0-Momentum in the Minkowski Plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a unique frame of 0 total momentum in the Minkowski spacetime plane. Two methods are proposed to find this frame, but both are found to be incorrect. The correct method involves adding the momenta vectorially and then performing a Lorentz transformation with v=-P/E. However, it is important to rotate the velocity vectors to point in the x-direction after the transformation.
haruna
Hello to everybody,

the question seems trivial in my mind, yet, is it legal to say that there is not unique frame of 0 total momentum in the Minkowski spacetime plane?

I am thinking of two non-accelerating equal masses on a horizontal plane, one is moving horizontally, the other perpendicularly as their respective 2-velocities in the Minkowski spacetime plane indicate. A quick way to find the frame of 0-momentum, one either moves along with the horizontal moving mass and Lorentz-transforms the velocity of the other mass, or does it by following the perpendicularly pointed mass.

These two separate methods yield two different results as to the direction of the respected 2-velocities of the masses in the Minkowski plane, very much unlike the Newtonian case where they're the same regardless.
So in this case, there must be two frames of 0-momentum. Is this legal to say, or they both cannot be told apart?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless the total energy is zero, there is a unique frame in which the total momentum is zero. Suppose that in one frame, the total momentum is in the x-direction. Then in another frame, the momentum in the x-direction will be given by:

[itex]p' = \gamma (p - v E/c^2)[/itex]

where [itex]v[/itex] is the relative speed between the two frames (assuming the velocity is in the x-direction), and where [itex]E[/itex] is the total energy in the original frame and [itex]p[/itex] is the momentum. That equation uniquely determines the value of [itex]v[/itex] to make [itex]p'=0[/itex]: [itex]v = p c^2/E[/itex].

If the momentum is not in the x-direction, you can first perform a Lorentz transformation to get the momentum zero in the x-direction, then perform a second transformation to get it zero in the y-direction, then a third to get it zero in the z-direction. The resulting frame is uniquely determined by the momentum and energy in the initial frame.

haruna: Both your methods are wrong.
Add the two momenta vectorially so P=p1+p2, and E=e1+e2.
Then Lorentz transform with v=-P/E.

Meir Achuz said:
haruna: Both your methods are wrong.
Add the two momenta vectorially so P=p1+p2, and E=e1+e2.
Then Lorentz transform with v=-P/E.

Yes, thank you both. I can see my mistake now, tho not for the reason you've just pointed out.

You see, when i move along one of the two masses bringing its speed to a standstill, I add the momenta vectorially by transferring the one component of momentum to the other moving mass.

My mistake was when I Lorentz-transformed with v=-P/E, I forgot to rotate the velocity 2 or (3-vectors in general case) to point both in the x-direction. I forgot to rotate the Minkowski plane in the direction θ of v where v=tanhθ, and was left with the same velocity directions as before the transformation.

haruna said:
My mistake was when I Lorentz-transformed with v=-P/E, I forgot to rotate the velocity 2 or (3-vectors in general case) to point both in the x-direction.

Oops. This is not right! The correct statement is: I forgot to rotate the velocity 3 or (4-vectors in the general case) to point both in the x-direction.

1. What is the Minkowski plane?

The Minkowski plane is a mathematical concept used in special relativity to describe the geometry of spacetime. It consists of two dimensions, one representing space and the other representing time. It is named after the mathematician and physicist Hermann Minkowski.

2. What is 0-momentum in the Minkowski plane?

0-momentum refers to an object having no net momentum in the Minkowski plane. This means that the object is not moving in either the space or time dimensions. In other words, it has zero velocity and is at rest in the Minkowski plane.

3. How are two frames of 0-momentum related in the Minkowski plane?

In the Minkowski plane, two frames of 0-momentum are related by a Lorentz transformation. This transformation allows for the conversion of coordinates between two reference frames that are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity.

4. How is 0-momentum conserved in the Minkowski plane?

In special relativity, the law of conservation of momentum still holds true. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum in the Minkowski plane remains constant. If one object has 0-momentum, it can transfer its momentum to another object in the system to maintain the total momentum at zero.

5. How is the Minkowski plane used in physics?

The Minkowski plane is used in physics, specifically in special relativity, to describe the relationship between space and time. It allows for the calculation of distances and time intervals in a moving reference frame, taking into account the effects of relativity. It is also used in the formulation of the famous equation E=mc^2, which relates energy, mass, and the speed of light in the Minkowski plane.