Distilled Ethanol Safe To Drink?

• Thread starter rpandrew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ethanol
In summary, the conversation discusses the safety of consuming distilled alcohol, both commercially produced and homemade. The speaker asks if it is safe to drink 1-2 shots of vodka that has been distilled at home, while also mentioning the presence of small amounts of methanol in commercially produced hard liquors. They also mention trying to make a higher proof alcohol at home, but are advised to just buy Everclear instead.
rpandrew
So I've read lab grade ethanol is dangerous, and so is alcohol made at home that is distilled because of methanol.

My question is, if I used Vodka from the LCBO and distilled it at a temperature around ~78C, would 1-2 shots be safe to drink?

I also understand that there is small amounts of methanol that is under the legal limit in commercial hard liquors. So I would let the first few drops just run off.

I understand there is an azeotrope, but I'm not looking for 100% alcohol. I'm just trying to make a higher proof alcohol at home for fun.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This this potentially dangerous and we can't condone this type of experimentation.

Just go out and buy some Everclear and be done with it.

1. Is distilled ethanol safe to drink?

Yes, distilled ethanol is safe to drink in moderation. It is the same type of alcohol found in beer, wine, and spirits. However, it is important to consume it in small amounts and with caution as it is a highly concentrated form of alcohol.

2. What is the difference between distilled ethanol and regular alcohol?

Distilled ethanol is a type of alcohol that has gone through a distillation process, which removes impurities and increases the alcohol content. Regular alcohol, such as beer and wine, may contain other ingredients and have a lower alcohol content.

3. Can drinking distilled ethanol be harmful?

Yes, drinking too much distilled ethanol can be harmful. It is important to consume it in moderation and avoid binge drinking. Excessive consumption can lead to alcohol poisoning, which can have serious consequences.

4. How much distilled ethanol is safe to drink?

The recommended amount of distilled ethanol for adults is one drink per day for women and up to two drinks per day for men. One drink is equivalent to 1.5 ounces of distilled spirits, 5 ounces of wine, or 12 ounces of beer.

5. Is distilled ethanol safe for everyone to drink?

No, distilled ethanol should not be consumed by certain individuals, such as pregnant women, individuals with a history of alcohol abuse, and those taking certain medications. It is important to consult with a doctor before consuming distilled ethanol if you have any health concerns.