Nuclear Shell Model: Explaining Nucleon Occupancy

In summary, the nuclear spin quantum number for some NMR active elements and their isotopes can be difficult to predict.
Winga
I don't know how nucleons occupy each energy level, especially the one with multiple states.

For example, 1p3/2, there are 4 states in this level, that can be occupied 4 nucleons.

If there are 2 nucleons in this level, do they must be paired-up? Why?

And if there are 3 nucleons in this level, 2 nucleons are paired and 1 nucleon is unpaired? Why?

According to Pauli exclusion principle, two fermions cannot occupy the same quantum state.
For 1p3/2, how can I assign nucleons to this state without violating this principle?

Attachments

• shellmod.gif
    shellmod.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 579
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The number of independent spin states for spin j is (2j+1), so j=3/2 has four independent spin states. There can be 4 protons and 4 neutrons in the 1p3/2 level.
The pairing in an unfilled level can be complicated.

Meir Achuz said:
This is what I wonder.

Is it the 1st one is upaired,
2nd ---> paired with the 1st one
3rd ---> unpaired
4th ---> paired with the 3rd one

Winga said:
This is what I wonder.

Is it the 1st one is upaired,
2nd ---> paired with the 1st one
3rd ---> unpaired
4th ---> paired with the 3rd one

In the valence nucleon model, this is usually assumed. But when you look at some nuclei and compute the nuclear spin and parity from the valence nucleon shell model, it often times gives the incorrect answers. So there must be something more going on than the shell model is able to tell us about. Krane's book, "introductory nuclear physics" gives a good (ok decent) discussion on this model and its short comings.

Cheers,
Ryan

Meir Achuz said:
The number of independent spin states for spin j is (2j+1), so j=3/2 has four independent spin states. There can be 4 protons and 4 neutrons in the 1p3/2 level.
Are these 4 states degenerate?

Astronuc said:
I had read it already, but it is not detail enough.

I just wonder the nuclear spin quantum number for some NMR active elements and their isotopes, but I have a difficulty in pairing up of nucleons.

Last edited:
i also have same problem with use of nuclear shell to predict net spin of nuclei, for example in case of 11B(3/2) and 10B(I=3)

tuul said:
i also have same problem with use of nuclear shell to predict net spin of nuclei, for example in case of 11B(3/2) and 10B(I=3)

You mean how to find Nuclear spins of ground state for the following nuclei: ??

[tex]^{\text{11}}[/tex]B and [tex]^{\text{10}}[/tex]B

Perhaps this link will help see how nucleons fill shells:

http://www.lbl.gov/abc/wallchart/chapters/06/1.html

Rade said:
Perhaps this link will help see how nucleons fill shells:

http://www.lbl.gov/abc/wallchart/chapters/06/1.html

But one has to know how to cuople.

1. What is the Nuclear Shell Model?

The Nuclear Shell Model is a theoretical model used to explain the behavior and structure of atomic nuclei. It is based on the concept that protons and neutrons (collectively known as nucleons) in the nucleus occupy specific energy levels, similar to electrons in the electron shells of atoms.

2. How does the Nuclear Shell Model explain nucleon occupancy?

The Nuclear Shell Model explains nucleon occupancy by organizing nucleons into energy levels and shells. These energy levels are determined by the nuclear force, which is responsible for binding nucleons together. The model predicts that certain energy levels and shells will be more stable than others, leading to specific patterns of nucleon occupancy within the nucleus.

3. Why is the Nuclear Shell Model important?

The Nuclear Shell Model is important because it provides a framework for understanding the complex structure and behavior of atomic nuclei. It has been successful in explaining many experimental observations and has been used to predict the properties of new, undiscovered nuclei. The model is also used in nuclear engineering and medicine, as well as in the development of nuclear energy and weapons.

4. What factors influence nucleon occupancy in the Nuclear Shell Model?

The main factors that influence nucleon occupancy in the Nuclear Shell Model are the nuclear force, which determines the energy levels and shells, and the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two nucleons can occupy the same quantum state. Other factors, such as the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, also play a role.

5. How does the Nuclear Shell Model impact our understanding of the periodic table?

The Nuclear Shell Model has contributed to our understanding of the periodic table by providing a link between the properties of atomic nuclei and the chemical elements. It explains why certain elements are more stable than others and why elements with similar numbers of protons and neutrons have similar chemical properties. The model has also helped scientists discover new elements and understand their properties.