How Do You Calculate Total Energy Stored in a Circuit System?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the total energy stored in a system of capacitors, with the participants discussing the equation for energy in a capacitor and the necessary conversion of units to get the correct answer. Ultimately, the issue was resolved by converting all values to standard units and using the equation (1/2)CV^2 to calculate the total energy.
goWlfpack

Homework Statement

for this problem i found all of the separate capacitence for each capacitor, each potential difference, and each charge on each capacitor but I am not sure how to get the total energy stored for the whole system. does anybody know the correct equation

Homework Equations

dunno

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried using the total capacitance of the system and the total voltage.. to no avail

Physics news on Phys.org
goWlfpack said:
for this problem i found all of the separate capacitence for each capacitor, each potential difference, and each charge on each capacitor but I am not sure how to get the total energy stored for the whole system. does anybody know the correct equation

Hi goWlfpack! :smile:

Energy in capacitor = (1/2)CV2 :smile:

The equation for energy in a capacitor should be in any physics textbook that talks about capacitors. Try looking carefully through that section in your book.

ok so i used the equation total energy = (1/2)CV^2

but it says i am off by a multiple of ten.

can anybody help me with the conversion.
the capacitance is in micro farads
the potential difference is in volts
and they want the answer in looks like milli joules

Did it say a multiple of ten or a power of ten?

I would convert your numbers to Farads and Volts, plug those into the equation to get an energy in Joules, then convert that to mJ.

thanks guys! got it! that's exactly what i did. converted everything to the standard. Thanks so much!

1. What is total energy in a circuit?

Total energy in a circuit refers to the sum of all forms of energy present in the circuit. This includes electrical energy, thermal energy, and potential energy.

2. How is total energy calculated in a circuit?

Total energy can be calculated by multiplying the voltage (in volts) by the current (in amperes) in the circuit. This is known as the power equation: P = VI.

3. Why is total energy important in a circuit?

Total energy is important because it determines the overall performance and efficiency of the circuit. It also helps in determining the power requirements and potential hazards of the circuit.

4. Can total energy be created or destroyed in a circuit?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, total energy in a closed circuit cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be converted from one form to another.

5. How can the total energy in a circuit be conserved?

The total energy in a circuit can be conserved by minimizing energy losses through proper circuit design and using efficient components. It is also important to regularly maintain and repair any faulty or inefficient components to avoid unnecessary energy consumption.