Why same object but different space can't be touch?

• Thread starter Chitose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, Chitose wonders about the theory of traveling back in time and meeting oneself, and why it is believed that touching one's past self would cause chaos. They also ask if there is any actual theory behind this idea. JesseM, an expert in the subject, is currently away, but it is stated that there is no basis in actual theory for this concept. The conversation then mentions a paper about the topic of closed timelike curves and causality, which explores the idea in more depth. Ultimately, it is concluded that the idea of not being able to touch oneself in the past is simply a plot device in fiction.
Chitose
Hello, Chitose wonder chick again.

I watch serval sci-fi movie and some of It say about theory about same matter in different time.
like... If I traval back in time and meet myself in the past, I must not touch him. If I do, it will cause some chaos.

I wonder why?

I know It pure fantasy but It must base on some actual theory right?

can anyone tell me?

PS. English is not my native language, forgive me If I wrong in gramma or spelling.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe JesseM is the resident expert, but he's on vacation this weekend, and usually works in the SR and GR forum.

Chitose said:
like... If I traval back in time and meet myself in the past, I must not touch him. If I do, it will cause some chaos.

I wonder why?

I know It pure fantasy but It must base on some actual theory right?
Nope. It is total fiction. Nothing more than a plot device.

Yeah, you can touch yourself if you go back in time. But don't murder your grandfather before your father was born!

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0206078
Time, Closed Timelike Curves and Causality
Francisco Lobo, Paulo Crawford

I though It's about same electromanatic pules to suck each other or some thing like that...

So it's just a plot huh.

Too bad:frown:

atyy said:
Yeah, you can touch yourself if you go back in time. But don't murder your grandfather before your father was born!

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0206078
Time, Closed Timelike Curves and Causality
Francisco Lobo, Paulo Crawford

Unless you were supposed to, then by all means don't not do it!

1. Why can't two objects occupying different spaces touch each other?

Objects occupy space and have physical boundaries. When two objects are in different spaces, their physical boundaries do not overlap, therefore they cannot touch each other.

2. What causes the inability for two objects in different spaces to touch?

The laws of physics dictate that two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. This is due to the repulsive forces between the atoms and molecules that make up the objects.

3. Can two objects in different spaces ever touch each other?

No, it is physically impossible for two objects in different spaces to touch each other. As long as they remain in separate spaces, they will not be able to come into contact with each other.

4. Is it possible for two objects in different spaces to appear to touch each other?

Yes, it is possible for two objects in different spaces to appear to touch each other. This is known as an optical illusion, where the perception of touch is created through visual cues, but in reality, the objects are not actually touching.

5. How does the concept of space affect the ability for objects to touch each other?

The concept of space is essential to understanding why two objects cannot touch each other if they are in different spaces. Space provides the physical separation between objects, and without it, they would not have distinct boundaries and would be able to overlap and touch.