Basic Circuit Capacitor/Resistor Question

• Engineering
  • Thread starter jlv11203
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the question involves a 1.0 micro Farads capacitor and a 16 Ohms resistor connected in series, with a voltage of 18 cos(1000t) V across the capacitor. The goal is to find the voltage across the resistor at t = 1 s. The solution involves determining whether the response is steady state or transient, and using the relationship \tau=RC to find the frequency of the voltage source. The current through the capacitor is found using i = C dv/dt and Ohm's law is applied to find the voltage across the resistor.
jlv11203

Homework Statement

A 1.0 micro Farads capacitor is connected in series with a 16 Ohms resistor as shown in the figure. If the voltage across the capacitor is Vc(t) = 18 cos(1000t) V, what is the voltage across the resistor, VR, at t = 1 s?

Note: The voltage frequency is in radians per second.

----Capacitor--------Resistor-----black box----

the ends are connected in the picture given, eg: black box connected back to capacitor

Homework Equations

V_c = 10*cos(1000t)
i_c = C dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor was absent from class the day we were supposed to learn this, but the homework is still due in a couple days. Honestly, I'm not really sure where to start. I would think the current in the branch with the capacitor and resistor would need to be found, in order to find the voltage drop across the resistor. Any nudges in the right direction or help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
For a question like this, you need to firstly determine whether the response is steady state, or transient. HINT: Does [itex]\tau=RC[/itex] ring a bell? If not, the Wikipedia article on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_time_constant" . Now, how does that compare to the frequency of the voltage source?

EDIT: ...And welcome to PhysicsForums!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have not talked about anything regarding capacitors in class yet, let alone time constants. I vaguely remember them from a physics class I took last year, but I was able to figure out the solution to this problem after re-reading the chapter in the book...it ends up I was over-complicating it

This is what I figured out:

use i = C dv/dt to find the current through the capacitor at t = 1s. i= 1*10^-6 * d/dt (18*cos(1000t)), then, apply Ohm's law to the resistor since the current in that branch is the same throughout: v = ir, v = i * 16.

Thanks for the help and the welcome! :)

ps: that link is coming in very useful for the other questions on the assignment!

Last edited:

What is a capacitor and resistor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. A resistor is an electronic component that limits or controls the flow of electrical current in a circuit.

How do capacitors and resistors work together in a circuit?

In a basic circuit, capacitors and resistors work together to control the flow of electrical current. Capacitors store energy and resistors limit the amount of current that can pass through, allowing for a more controlled flow of electricity.

What is the difference between a capacitor and a resistor?

The main difference between a capacitor and a resistor is their function in a circuit. A capacitor stores energy, while a resistor limits current. Additionally, capacitors are measured in farads, while resistors are measured in ohms.

What is the purpose of using a capacitor and resistor in a circuit?

Capacitors and resistors are used in circuits to control the flow of electrical current and to filter out unwanted signals. They are also used to store energy and regulate voltage levels in a circuit.

How do I choose the right capacitor and resistor for my circuit?

The choice of capacitor and resistor for a circuit depends on the specific requirements of the circuit, such as voltage and current ratings. It is important to consult a circuit diagram and the specifications of the components to ensure the right ones are chosen for the circuit.