What is the meaning of the rate of change of voltage in an RLC circuit at t=0+?

In summary, the conversation discusses a solved problem involving a switch, a 2-ohm resistor, and a capacitor. The results checked out with the book's answers, but there is confusion about the rate of change of voltage across the resistor and capacitor, which are both assumed to have constant voltages. The question asks for clarification on this matter.
paulmdrdo

Homework Statement

2qcgodf.png

Homework Equations

V(t) = V(∞)+( V(0+) - V(∞) )e^-t/τ

3. The Attempt at a Solution

11tml2e.png

Hello again! I've already solved the problem depicted in the picture above and below are the following unknowns that I managed to solved:
205fdi0.png

These results checked out with the answers supplied by the book. By I could not make sense out of these results. For example how come that at t=0+ the rate of change of the voltage across the 2-ohm resistor is dVr(0+)/dt = 2/3 v/s, when in fact the expression for the voltage across it is Vr(t)=4 V ----> this is a constant value how come it has a rate of change of some sort? Same confusion I have with the rate of change of voltage across the capacitor because Vc(t)=-20v.

Please enlighten me with this matter. Thank you!

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-17_0-24-56.png
    upload_2019-3-17_0-24-56.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 259
  • upload_2019-3-17_0-29-30.png
    upload_2019-3-17_0-29-30.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 257
  • upload_2019-3-17_0-30-46.png
    upload_2019-3-17_0-30-46.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 277
  • 2qcgodf.png
    2qcgodf.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 684
  • 11tml2e.png
    11tml2e.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 699
  • 205fdi0.png
    205fdi0.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
What reasoning led you to conclude constant voltages for the 2 ohm and C? When the switch is closed for the 3A supply, everything starts to move - all voltages, all currents!

1. What is an RLC second order circuit?

An RLC second order circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and can exhibit complex behaviors such as resonance and oscillation.

2. What is the difference between a first and second order circuit?

A first order circuit contains only one energy storage element (either an inductor or a capacitor), while a second order circuit contains two energy storage elements (an inductor and a capacitor). This means that second order circuits can exhibit more complex behaviors and have a higher order differential equation governing their behavior.

3. How do I calculate the natural frequency of an RLC circuit?

The natural frequency of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula:
f0 = 1 / (2π√(LC))
where f0 is the natural frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance. This frequency represents the frequency at which the circuit will naturally oscillate without any external input.

4. What is the significance of the quality factor (Q) in RLC circuits?

The quality factor (Q) in RLC circuits represents the ratio of energy stored to energy dissipated in the circuit. A higher Q value indicates a more efficient circuit with less energy lost to resistance. It is also used to determine the bandwidth and selectivity of the circuit.

5. How can I analyze the behavior of an RLC second order circuit?

The behavior of an RLC second order circuit can be analyzed using differential equations and circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and nodal analysis. Additionally, simulation software such as SPICE can be used to model and analyze the circuit's behavior. It is also important to understand the concept of impedance and how it affects the circuit's response to different frequencies.