What is a Good Book Gift for a Professor in Astrophysics?

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking to get a gift for their professor who has helped them with their undergraduate studies. They are considering getting an interesting book, preferably related to physics or science, as the professor specializes in gamma ray astronomy and supernovas. One suggestion is to get a copy of Newton's Principia, but they are unsure if the professor already has it. Another suggestion is to get a green astronomical laser, but it is mentioned that they may not be legal in some places and the professor may already have one. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the Principia would be a great gift, as it holds sentimental value and is a timeless work of scientific genius.
unchained1978
I'm looking to get one of my professors a book/gift as a thank you, as he's helped me a lot with my undergraduate studies over the past two years. I was thinking about getting him an interesting book, so I was wondering if anyone knew of some good ones (preferably physics/science related). He specializes in gamma ray astronomy and supernovas, and astrophysics in general. I thought about getting him a copy of Newton's Principia, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
unchained1978 said:
I'm looking to get one of my professors a book/gift as a thank you, as he's helped me a lot with my undergraduate studies over the past two years. I was thinking about getting him an interesting book, so I was wondering if anyone knew of some good ones (preferably physics/science related). He specializes in gamma ray astronomy and supernovas, and astrophysics in general. I thought about getting him a copy of Newton's Principia, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Hi there,

that sounds like a super nice thing to do. Not to be rude, but are you committed to buying him a book? Especially one that is in the same field as his doctorate?

I have an idea, I'm not sure you'd be too fond of it. But nowadays they are selling lasers for a pretty reasonable price online. If he's into astronomy maybe he'd like to point out stars or something like that. Besides, lasers are awesome regardless of who you are.

unchained1978 said:
I thought about getting him a copy of Newton's Principia, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?
The Principia is a far a better bet than a book on his specialty. He has all the good ones on his specialty on his bookshelf already. There's no professional need for the Principia, but it has huge historical value. If there's a way you can sneak a peek at his bookshelf, see if he already has a copy. If he does you'll have to find something else. If he doesn't, he might well put your copy there, not so much for its technical value but for its sentimental value. And that sentimental value is exactly why you are thinking of this gift.

Lasers are a dime a dozen. He may well have a bunch of those already, too.

when i graduated with my phd from Utah in 1977 and moved away, I lightened my load by selling my copy of the principia for 10 cents to a local bookstore. I have always wanted it back. So I think that would be a wonderful gift, but again it relates somewhat to whether he already has it. It is pointless to give him a book in his own specialty as you most likely end up somewhat like bringing a grocery store wine to a wine expert.

But to a scientist, the immortal work of a genius easily trumps an electronic gadget.

1. What makes a book a good choice for a professor?

A good book for a professor should be well-researched, well-written, and relevant to their area of expertise. It should also have a clear and organized structure, and offer new insights or perspectives on the subject.

2. Is it important for a book to be current for a professor to use it in their teaching?

It is generally preferred for a book to be current, especially if it covers a rapidly evolving field. However, older books that are considered classic or foundational in a particular subject may still be valuable to a professor's teaching.

3. Are there any specific book genres that are particularly useful for professors?

Professors may find textbooks, academic journals, and monographs to be particularly useful for their teaching. These types of books tend to be more focused and in-depth, making them suitable for use in a classroom setting.

4. How should a professor choose a book for their course?

A professor should consider their course objectives, the level of their students, and the availability and relevance of the book before making a decision. They may also seek recommendations from colleagues and review the book's content and reviews before choosing it for their course.

5. Can a good book for a professor also be a good read for non-academic audiences?

Yes, a book that is well-written, engaging, and informative can appeal to both academic and non-academic audiences. However, it may depend on the subject matter and the writing style of the book.