Over The Edge: Building an Ant Staircase with a Deck of Cards

• Thread starter msmith12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Edge
In summary: I think it would be easier if you tried it out yourself. In summary, you can build a staircase out of a deck of cards that can go as far over an edge as you want as long as the structure is freestanding and has a height of n. You can use cards as weight to help keep it in place, or you can build it so that the first card overhangs by half its length, the next by 1/3 of its length, and so on. However, if you build it perfectly, it will collapse as soon as the ant starts walking.
msmith12
first of all I would like to say that this is a question to which I do not have the answer...

imagine that you are building a set of stairs for an ant out of a deck of n cards... what is the greatest horizontal distance from a table out over an abyss that can be covered over by the cards given that the structure must be freestanding, and have a height of n(given the height of one card = 1).

for example... if you have one card, you can go half the length of the card over an edge by placing the card so that the edge of the table is exactly in the middle of the card.

hope it makes sense...

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe 1

If L is the length of one card, then you can go L*(2N-1)/(2N) over the edge.

It really depends on the number of cards you have, can you use cards simply as weight? you oculd sandwich cards so that there is a stack of three with the middle one sticking out, and use weight on the back end to keep it sticking out?

Depends on how much glue you use :smile:

no, no weights or glue can be used...

and I thought that it would be 1 as well (well, i thought that the placement for the cards would be related to 1/2^n... but i tried it out... and can definitely get more than 1 card length over the edge...

any ideas?

Last edited:
msmith12 said:
... and can definitely get more than 1 card length over the edge...

I don't see how !

Remember you've said "the structure must have a height of n (given the height of one card = 1)".

So, you can not have inclined cards. And besides, cards side by side at the same level are not allowed.

:smile:

i remember from physics we had a similar problem, only it was about constructing bridges out of bricks. if that's what you mean, then as far as i know i *think* you can go as far out as you want, but its going to take a lot of cards (or bricks). the method i think is to take the first card and have 1/2n (n is the total number of cards) of it sticking of the edge. then the next would be 1/(2n - 2) and so on until the last card is half way off the previous card. this keeps the center of mass over the original table or whatever it starts from.

only problem i see with it is that if you construct it exactly (physics exactly), as soon as the ant starts walking it will collapse...

*edit: i tried to draw it with dashes but it didnt save the formatting... :mad: :frown:

so, more or less

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{[\frac{n}{2}]} \frac{1}{2n}
[/tex]

(that is, if the weight of the ant = 0)...

do you remember how you came up with that?

thanks...

You can use the diagonal of the cards to increase the reach of the cantilever significantly.

The way to analyse this is to start with the top card, and work down. The top card can overhang by half its length (half the length of its diagonal, if you're greedy) then the top but one card can overhang by a quarter, the next one by a sixth and so on.

With an infinite number of cards, there is no limit to the overhang.

Last edited:
T@P said:
*edit: i tried to draw it with dashes but it didnt save the formatting... :mad: :frown:
Put some {code} tags around your text to preserve formatting {/code} Use square brackets in place of the curly ones, and you get something like this:
Code:
               ----------
          ----------
      ----------
   ----------
 ----------
----------

thanks ceptimus.

to answer mssmith12's question, its really all about keeping the center of mass just on the edge of the table. try it for one book, and its just half on and half off. add another *below* that one and it should be about 1/4 off the table. etc etc. i suppose there is a way to formally prove it by going through the whole center of mass thing, but it doesn't seem that hard. you shouuld actually try it with books (like encycolpedias) and its kind of cool how the last book is completely over the edge of the table. trying it diagonally would be a lot harder...

If you continue the sequence, you can reach infinity. It's a harmonic sequence.

The first card can get half-way over the card under it, the second card can get 1/3 of the way off the card under that (the total overhang now being 1/2+1/3); by performing some simple center of mass equations, you can figure out that the pattern goes like this: [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty [\frac{1}{n}][/tex]

It's a harmonic series and equals infinity when its limit is reached.Edit: I suck with latex... It's supposed to be the sum of 1/n as n goes from 1 to infinity.

Edit2: Sorry for bringing up a 2-year old topic... I forgot I was searching through the ancient brain teasers when I saw this. :-X

Last edited:
i have a bunch of old baseball cards I just tried this with.

I was able to get about 1 foot over the table using about 300 cards. about 2-/3 of them were stacked on the tables edge holding down the rest that were overhanging. so if you are allowed to use the cards as weight, I am sure you could go on forever given ideal conditions.

Without using cards as weights well ill leave that up to you math wizzards

1. How many cards are needed to build the ant staircase?

The ant staircase can be built using only one deck of cards, which contains 52 cards in total.

2. How tall can the ant staircase be built?

The height of the ant staircase depends on the stability of the cards and the skill of the builder. Theoretically, it can reach as high as the ceiling, but in reality, it may be limited to a few feet.

3. Can the ant staircase support weight?

Yes, the ant staircase can support weight as long as it is built correctly and evenly distributed. However, it is not recommended to stand or put heavy objects on it as it may collapse.

4. Can the ant staircase be built with other types of cards?

Yes, the ant staircase can be built with any type of cards that have similar dimensions to a standard deck of cards. However, the number of cards needed may vary depending on the size and weight of the cards.

5. Is it possible to build the ant staircase without any support?

No, the ant staircase needs at least one end to be supported by a flat surface or held by someone's hand to maintain its stability. Otherwise, it will collapse due to the weight of the cards.