Probability of drawing a kind from a deck of poker

In summary, the probability of getting four cards of one kind in a hand of five cards in poker is calculated by using the product rule to obtain C(13,1)C(4,4)C(48,1), and the overall probability is then C(13,1)C(4,4)C(48,1)/C(52,5). This simplifies to 1/4165, or approximately 0.0002401, which is the same as the answer given in the book. However, this is actually the probability of getting four cards of the same suit, not four of a kind. The correct probability for four of a kind is much higher at approximately 0.04292.
Phys12

Homework Statement

Find the probability that a hand of five cards in poker contains four cards of one kind.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution given in the book:[/B]
By the product rule, the number of hands of five cards with four cards of one kind is the product of the number of ways to pick one kind, the number of ways to pick the four of this kind out of the four in the deck of this kind, and the number of ways to pick the fifth card.
This is:
C(13, 1)C(4, 4)C(48, 1).
By Example 11 in Section 6.3 there are C(52, 5) different hands of five cards. Hence, the probability that a hand contains four cards of one kind is
C(13, 1)C(4, 4)C(48, 1)
------------------------------
C(52, 5)

I understand the last part (C(48,1)), we have chosen our 4 cards, now there are 48 cards remaining in the deck and we need the 5th card (choosing only 1 card), hence, we get C(48, 1). However, I don't get the first two (I kind of get C(13, 1), but not C(4,4)).

If I imagine a deck placed in 13 different sections each section containing 4 of each kind, then I get why we will have C(13,1), since of those 13 sections, we need to pick one kind. Is that a correct way of thinking about it? And if yes, then why even mention C(4,4) since we're picking up all the 4 cards when we pick 1 kind?

Physics news on Phys.org
Phys12 said:
And if yes, then why even mention C(4,4) since we're picking up all the 4 cards when we pick 1 kind?
That is exactly the point. You must choose all four and there are C(4,4) = 1 ways of doing that.

Orodruin said:
That is exactly the point. You must choose all four and there are C(4,4) = 1 ways of doing that.
Okay and the way that I am picturing the problem, is that correct? (The one in which I stack 4 cards in each section, all 4 belonging to the same kind?)

Phys12 said:
Okay and the way that I am picturing the problem, is that correct? (The one in which I stack 4 cards in each section, all 4 belonging to the same kind?)
Yes. The C(13,1) is choosing one of the 13 denominations to make your 4-of-a-kind. You need to pick all four of that denomination (C(4,4)), and you need to choose an additional card out of the 48 remaining (C(48,1)).

Likes Phys12
Phys12 said:

Homework Statement

Find the probability that a hand of five cards in poker contains four cards of one kind.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution given in the book:[/B]
By the product rule, the number of hands of five cards with four cards of one kind is the product of the number of ways to pick one kind, the number of ways to pick the four of this kind out of the four in the deck of this kind, and the number of ways to pick the fifth card.
This is:
C(13, 1)C(4, 4)C(48, 1).
By Example 11 in Section 6.3 there are C(52, 5) different hands of five cards. Hence, the probability that a hand contains four cards of one kind is
C(13, 1)C(4, 4)C(48, 1)
------------------------------
C(52, 5)

I understand the last part (C(48,1)), we have chosen our 4 cards, now there are 48 cards remaining in the deck and we need the 5th card (choosing only 1 card), hence, we get C(48, 1). However, I don't get the first two (I kind of get C(13, 1), but not C(4,4)).

If I imagine a deck placed in 13 different sections each section containing 4 of each kind, then I get why we will have C(13,1), since of those 13 sections, we need to pick one kind. Is that a correct way of thinking about it? And if yes, then why even mention C(4,4) since we're picking up all the 4 cards when we pick 1 kind?

Start again: your answer is orders of magnitude off. Your answer evaluates as 0.0002401, while the true answer is about 0.04292.

Hint: apply the hypergeometric distribution.

Ray Vickson said:
Start again: your answer is orders of magnitude off. Your answer evaluates as 0.0002401, while the true answer is about 0.04292.

That's the answer that's given in the book. What's wrong with the procedure that I am using?

Ray Vickson said:

If you are saying that the probability of drawing 4-of-a-kind in the deal in 5 card draw is 4.3% I would like to play a few hands of poker ... :rolleyes:

Edit: The chance of obtaining two pairs in the deal is about 5%. This happens much more often than 4-of-a-kind.

Edit 2: You seem to be computing the probability of getting 4 cards of the same suite, not 4-of-a-kind.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Orodruin said:
If you are saying that the probability of drawing 4-of-a-kind in the deal in 5 card draw is 4.3% I would like to play a few hands of poker ... :rolleyes:

Edit: The chance of obtaining two pairs in the deal is about 5%. This happens much more often than 4-of-a-kind.

Edit 2: You seem to be computing the probability of getting 4 cards of the same suite, not 4-of-a-kind.

Yes, you are right!

Back to the drawing board.

Phys12 said:
That's the answer that's given in the book. What's wrong with the procedure that I am using?

Nothing wrong: I computed the wrong probability. Your answer is OK.

1. What is the probability of drawing a kind from a deck of poker?

The probability of drawing a kind from a deck of poker is 0.24 or 24%. This means that out of every 100 hands, approximately 24 will contain a kind.

2. How do you calculate the probability of drawing a kind from a deck of poker?

To calculate the probability of drawing a kind from a deck of poker, you need to first determine the number of possible outcomes and the number of favorable outcomes. In this case, there are 13 possible kinds and 4 suits, resulting in 52 total cards. Therefore, the probability can be calculated as 13/52 or 0.25.

3. What is the difference between a kind and a pair in poker?

A kind in poker refers to four cards of the same rank, while a pair refers to two cards of the same rank. For example, a hand with four aces would be considered a kind, while a hand with two aces and two kings would be considered a pair.

4. Does the probability of drawing a kind change in different variations of poker?

Yes, the probability of drawing a kind can vary in different variations of poker. For example, in games like Texas Hold'em where players have two hole cards, the probability of drawing a kind is higher compared to games like Omaha where players have four hole cards. This is because there are more opportunities to create a kind with more hole cards.

5. How can you increase your chances of drawing a kind in poker?

You can increase your chances of drawing a kind in poker by playing with more decks, as this increases the number of possible outcomes. You can also learn and apply strategies for hand selection and betting, as these can increase the likelihood of receiving a kind. However, keep in mind that poker is a game of chance and probability, so there is no guaranteed way to draw a kind every time.