How Much Tensile Load Can a Bolt Withstand?

• Thread starter KiNGGeexD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elastic
In summary, the maximum tensile load that the bolt can withstand is 1.06*10^4 N or 10.6 kN. This is based on the ultimate shear strength of the bolt being 3.5*10^8 N/m^2, with a shank diameter of 1.2cm and a head height of 0.8cm. The shear modulus is not needed for this problem.
KiNGGeexD
Question;

The shank of the bold has a diameter of 1.2cm and a head height of 0.8cm. What is the maximum tensile load that the bolt can withstand if it's ultimate shear strength is 3.5*10^8 N/m^2I have attached a photo of the diagram given in the question.My attempt

I noticed that this is a question about shear modulus and could easily compute the force but the only thing I don't have in order to do so is the change in x? Any help would be fantastic I should say this is merely a practice textbook question and not an assignment or anything:) cheers again!

Oh and the answer given was 1.06*10^4 N :):)

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1390322261.030450.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I'm doing this right as I was able to get the answer you provided but no promises...

First off, I am assuming you know the difference between shear stress and normal stress. From the diagram, where on the bolt will it be experiencing a shear stress? Specifically, you want to identify the area under consideration. Remember for shear, the direction of force should be parrallel with the area you are considering

Secondly, look at the units of stress, and figure out how you can form those units from what your given in the problem statement

Yea I know that shear stress is caused by a tangential force applied!:) also I image that the stress is on the bolt head?

I know stress is N/m^2

So F/A

So is the max shear strength not the shear modulus?

But even though the units match up the change in x/initial x is unit less so wouldn't affect the dimensional analysis

KiNGGeexD said:
I know stress is N/m^2

So F/A

You are on the right track, now you need to identify the correct area to use

KiNGGeexD said:
So is the max shear strength not the shear modulus?

No, ultimate shear strength is the breaking point of the material, i.e. the maximum shear stress it can withstand before catastrophic failure, whereas the shear modulus is more like a spring constant which relates change in length to applied shear stress as you noted.

I don't believe you will need the shear modulus at all for this problem.

Ahh ok I was confusing myself :) thanks for your help. Much appreciated

On second though I may be incorrect... My answer was 10.55 E4 which is a whole magnitude off of yours. Sorry if I'm approaching this incorrectly. Can you confirm that the answer is 1.06 E4 not 10.6E4?

Yea 1.06, I also got 10.6 though:( haha

1. What is an elastic modulus?

An elastic modulus is a measure of a material's stiffness or ability to resist deformation when a force is applied to it. It is also known as Young's modulus or modulus of elasticity.

2. How is elastic modulus calculated?

Elastic modulus is calculated by dividing stress (force per unit area) by strain (change in length per unit length). This relationship is known as Hooke's law.

3. What are the different types of elastic moduli?

There are three main types of elastic moduli: Young's modulus, shear modulus, and bulk modulus. Young's modulus measures the resistance to tensile or compressive forces, shear modulus measures the resistance to shearing forces, and bulk modulus measures the resistance to volume changes.

4. How does temperature affect elastic modulus?

Generally, as temperature increases, the elastic modulus of a material decreases. This is because at higher temperatures, the atoms in the material vibrate more, making it easier for the material to deform under stress.

5. What factors can affect the value of elastic modulus?

The value of elastic modulus can be affected by the type of material, its microstructure, and any external factors such as temperature or strain rate. It can also vary for the same material under different testing conditions.