Strength of material in hollow shaft torque and safety factor

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a tube with specific dimensions and material properties. The goal is to determine the factor of safety at three points on the tube using maximum shear stress theory and D.E Von Mises theory. The conversation also mentions the need to consider bending stress and shear stress in addition to internal pressure and torsional loads.
lonlyway

Homework Statement

Assignment 2.jpg

the tube has ID of 450mm, t= 6mm, OD= 462mm, pressure is 1.2MPa
This is based on ASTM A36 steel, which have
Ultimate Tensile strength 400-550MPa
Yield Tensile strength 250Mpa
Modululs of Elasticity 200Gpa
Shear Modulus 79.3GPa
Determine the factor of safety at points H and K along the top of the tank and point G on the side by using a) Maximum shear stress theory, b) D.E Von Mises theory

I have skipped a prerequisite and this makes real hard on beginning... so please help me

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I am thinking is using pure tortion on the AD axle, and get T value
T = 0.5m x 5000N = 2500Nm or 2.5KNm
than find the moment of inertia by using J = pi(OD4-ID4)/2 = 7.1504 x 10-3 m4
at this point, I have G=79.3 x 109, J = 7.1504 x 10-3 m4, and need to find τ by using τ=pT/J = 0.231 x 2500/(7.1504 x 10-3) = 80764.71246 N/m2 which tives τxy on point H K and G
Than thinking to find stress of hoop and axial, by using
σhoop = pr/t and σaxial = pr/2t on surface, than calculate all and convert into σL and σG, H or K
which will give me max stress, than divide the max stress by the σultimate which will give me safety factor

Am I on the right track? if not, what did I do wrong?
and how should I use D.E Von Mises theory on the question?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lonlyway said:

Homework Statement

the tube has ID of 450mm, t= 6mm, OD= 462mm, pressure is 1.2MPa
This is based on ASTM A36 steel, which have
Ultimate Tensile strength 400-550MPa
Yield Tensile strength 250Mpa
Modululs of Elasticity 200Gpa
Shear Modulus 79.3GPa
Determine the factor of safety at points H and K along the top of the tank and point G on the side by using a) Maximum shear stress theory, b) D.E Von Mises theory

I have skipped a prerequisite and this makes real hard on beginning... so please help me

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I am thinking is using pure tortion on the AD axle, and get T value
T = 0.5m x 5000N = 2500Nm or 2.5KNm
than find the moment of inertia by using J = pi(OD4-ID4)/2 = 7.1504 x 10-3 m4

Your formula for J is incorrect. For a circular tube, J = (π/2) ⋅ (ro4 - ri4 )

at this point, I have G=79.3 x 109, J = 7.1504 x 10-3 m4, and need to find τ by using τ=pT/J = 0.231 x 2500/(7.1504 x 10-3) = 80764.71246 N/m2 which tives τxy on point H K and G
Than thinking to find stress of hoop and axial, by using
σhoop = pr/t and σaxial = pr/2t on surface, than calculate all and convert into σL and σG, H or K
which will give me max stress, than divide the max stress by the σultimate which will give me safety factor

Am I on the right track? if not, what did I do wrong?
and how should I use D.E Von Mises theory on the question?

the question is in the attached files

The manner in which the torque is applied to this tube also leads to some bending stress. You should also look at this tube as a cantilever beam, given the 5 kN load applied at Point D.

SteamKing said:
Your formula for J is incorrect. For a circular tube, J = (π/2) ⋅ (ro4 - ri4 )The manner in which the torque is applied to this tube also leads to some bending stress. You should also look at this tube as a cantilever beam, given the 5 kN load applied at Point D.

Oops yeah it was radius not diameter. I will fix it. Thank you
I did not put any bending moment as cantilever since there was no dimension about the small bar at D such as diameter. Therefore I assume that in this question, the force transfer without any loss. - which I am not really sure its correct assumption

lonlyway said:
Oops yeah it was radius not diameter. I will fix it. Thank you
I did not put any bending moment as cantilever since there was no dimension about the small bar at D such as diameter. Therefore I assume that in this question, the force transfer without any loss. - which I am not really sure its correct assumption
You don't care about the small bar sticking out the side of the tube.

The force can be transferred back to the center of the tube along with a couple which creates the torque on the tube. Applying a force away from the point where the tube is fixed to the wall is going to create a bending moment and bending stresses at points H and K. You'll also have to check point G for shearing stress due to the vertical load, which is why I mentioned that the internal pressure and the torsional loads are not the only loads to be considered here, especially since you are supposed to be checking for factor of safety.

Likes lonlyway
SteamKing said:
You don't care about the small bar sticking out the side of the tube.

The force can be transferred back to the center of the tube along with a couple which creates the torque on the tube. Applying a force away from the point where the tube is fixed to the wall is going to create a bending moment and bending stresses at points H and K. You'll also have to check point G for shearing stress due to the vertical load, which is why I mentioned that the internal pressure and the torsional loads are not the only loads to be considered here, especially since you are supposed to be checking for factor of safety.

Oh okay, thanks completely missed that.
So now I have 3 forces, bending moment as cantilever beam or shear stress depends on location, torsion, and hoof and axial stress and combine all 3 have 2 prime stresses per locations.
I can get max shear theory easily, but what should I do for Von Mises?
I have checked wikipedia, but it confuses me.
Should I just assume σ3 = 0 and sub σ1(length) and σ(hoof) into
upload_2016-1-20_15-6-8.png
this equation?

lonlyway said:
Oh okay, thanks completely missed that.
So now I have 3 forces, bending moment as cantilever beam or shear stress depends on location, torsion, and hoof and axial stress and combine all 3 have 2 prime stresses per locations.
I can get max shear theory easily, but what should I do for Von Mises?
I have checked wikipedia, but it confuses me.
Should I just assume σ3 = 0 and sub σ1(length) and σ(hoof) into View attachment 94572 this equation?

The stresses σ1, σ2, and σ3 are principal stresses, so you can't assume that one is equal to zero. You'll have to work out these principal stresses after analyzing the tube.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the strength of a hollow shaft?

The strength of a hollow shaft is calculated to determine its ability to withstand torque and prevent failure or deformation under load. This is important in engineering and construction to ensure the safety and reliability of structures and machinery.

2. How is torque related to the strength of a hollow shaft?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to a shaft. The strength of a hollow shaft is directly related to its ability to resist this twisting force. A higher torque load will require a stronger and more robust hollow shaft to prevent failure.

3. What is the safety factor in relation to the strength of a hollow shaft?

The safety factor is a measure of how much stronger a hollow shaft is than the expected or maximum load it will experience. It is calculated by dividing the ultimate strength of the material by the maximum expected load. A higher safety factor indicates a more reliable and durable hollow shaft.

4. How is the strength of a hollow shaft affected by its material?

The material used to make a hollow shaft greatly affects its strength. Different materials have varying levels of strength, stiffness, and resistance to deformation. For example, a hollow shaft made of steel will be stronger than one made of aluminum. It is important to use the appropriate material for a specific application to ensure safety and efficiency.

5. What factors should be considered when calculating the strength of a hollow shaft?

When calculating the strength of a hollow shaft, factors such as the material properties, dimensions, and loading conditions must be taken into account. Additionally, factors such as temperature, corrosion, and fatigue must also be considered to accurately determine the strength and safety factor of a hollow shaft.