How to Calculate Tension in a Two-Block System with Upward Acceleration?

• Thread starter babbagee
  • Start date
In summary, the question is about finding the tension in the lower rope (T2) while the blocks are accelerating upward due to the tension in the strings. One possible approach is to use Newton's 2nd law and draw free body diagrams for each block to determine the net forces acting on them. This would involve considering the weights of the blocks, the tensions in the strings, and the acceleration of the system.
babbagee
Hello

The question is
The blocks are now accelerating upward (due to the tension in the strings) with acceleration of magnitude a.

Find T2, the tension in the lower rope.

I really don't know where to start with this one. Would T2 equal the force that is applied on block one plus the weight that is pulling down. Point me in the right direction please.

Thanks

Attachments

• MLD_2l_1.jpg
    MLD_2l_1.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the difficulty you are having, or what about the problem do you understand or not understand so far. What principles do you think you should use?

Would the tension be T2 = M1g + (M1 + M2)a

beccause there is a downward force of gravity and then an upward force which is acting on both block 1 and 2. So their force would be (M1 + M2)a and the tension would be the sum of these two forces.

Rather than try to solve it in your head, why not apply Newton's 2nd law to each block. What forces act on each?

Block one
W=mg
T1=ma
force of block 2 pulling on block 1 which is the opposite of T2, right

Block two
W=mg
T2=ma

I drew the free body diagrams for the two blocks and these are the forces I came up with.

Careful: Don't equate a specific force with ma. Newton's 2nd law says that the net force will equal ma.

The forces on block 1: its weight, the tension T1, the tension T2.

The forces on block 2: its weight, the tension T2.

I'll leave it to you to specify the direction of these forces. Now find the net force on each block and apply Newton's 2nd law.

1. What is the formula for calculating T2 in a system with two hanging masses?

The formula for calculating T2 in a system with two hanging masses is T2 = (m1 + m2)g / (m1 + m2 + m3), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the hanging masses and m3 is the mass of the rope connecting them.

2. Can T2 be greater than T1 in a system with two hanging masses?

Yes, T2 can be greater than T1 in a system with two hanging masses. This can happen if the mass of one of the hanging masses is significantly larger than the other, or if the mass of the connecting rope is very small.

3. How does the angle of the rope affect the value of T2?

The angle of the rope does not affect the value of T2 in a system with two hanging masses. This is because the formula for T2 takes into account the weight of the rope and its angle.

4. What are the units for T2?

The units for T2 are the same as for force, which is Newtons (N). This is because T2 represents the tension force in the rope connecting the two hanging masses.

5. Does the length of the rope affect the value of T2?

Yes, the length of the rope can affect the value of T2 in a system with two hanging masses. This is because the longer the rope, the more it will stretch and the less tension it will be able to provide, resulting in a smaller value for T2.