Pulley question -- Two unequal masses hanging by a string

In summary, the conversation involves a problem solving process for finding the tension and acceleration in a system with two blocks connected by a rope over a pulley. The solution involves summing the net forces and using the equation F=ma. One person initially has trouble finding the tension, but eventually figures it out with the help of the other person. The final conclusion is that the tension is the same throughout the rope, and this is due to the pulley and rope being massless.
BlackBearFCS

Homework Statement

upload_2019-2-18_20-31-27.png

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so this is probably a really dumb question, but I'm stuck for some reason on it. I drew free body diagrams for each block.
For B, there's a small downward arrow for gravity, and a large arrow for tension.
For A, there's a large downward arrow for gravity (equal in magnitude to the tension on B), and a small upward arrow for tension (equal in magnitude to the gravity on B).

Then, to find the acceleration, I summed the net forces on the block B. The Tension in the rope acting on B is equal to 245 N, and the gravitational force on B is equal to 118 N. I found the differenece (127 N), plugged it into the F=ma equation, and got 127/12=10.6 m/s^2. Is this correct?

And how do I find the tension in the rope?

Thanks,

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-18_20-31-27.png
    upload_2019-2-18_20-31-27.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 821
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, I think I figured it out:

I think it's (25-12)/(25+12) g = 3.44m/s/s

I still am not sure about Tension though.

BlackBearFCS said:
(25-12)/(25+12) g
Yes.
BlackBearFCS said:
not sure about Tension
Consider the forces on one block. You know the acceleration.

BlackBearFCS said:

The Attempt at a Solution

For B, there's a small downward arrow for gravity, and a large arrow for tension.
For A, there's a large downward arrow for gravity (equal in magnitude to the tension on B), and a small upward arrow for tension (equal in magnitude to the gravity on B).
No, the tension is the same all along the rope, and this tension acts on both blocks. This is true whenever the pulley and the rope are massless

Likes Delta2

1. How do I calculate the acceleration of the system?

The acceleration of the system can be calculated using the formula a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. How does the mass ratio affect the acceleration of the system?

The acceleration of the system is directly proportional to the difference in masses between the two objects. A larger mass ratio will result in a larger acceleration, while a smaller mass ratio will result in a smaller acceleration.

3. What is the tension in the string connecting the two masses?

The tension in the string can be calculated using the formula T = m1a + m1g, where m1 is the mass of the larger object and a is the acceleration of the system. This tension is equal to the force pulling on the larger object.

4. How does the position of the pulley affect the acceleration of the system?

The position of the pulley does not affect the acceleration of the system. The only factors that affect the acceleration are the masses of the two objects and the force of gravity.

5. Can the two masses have the same acceleration?

Yes, the two masses can have the same acceleration if they have the same mass. In this case, the acceleration of the system would be 0 m/s² as there is no difference in mass to cause movement.