The Horrors of the Malleus Maleficarum

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of witchcraft and whether it is still practiced in modern times. Some participants mention the possibility of using technology to detect or protect against evil spirits, while others discuss the distinctions between witches and warlocks. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about the blurriness of a participant's script.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The things they used to do are just so terrible :biggrin:

http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/mm00e.html

I hope there no modern day ones about :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, we'll just have to wait for Benny's 16. dictum, mustn't we?

arildno said:
Well, we'll just have to wait for Benny's 16. dictum, mustn't we?

I used to be friends with a white witch, she never mentioned 16 dictums though.

Witches are not evil, its the evil warlocks:uhh:

hypatia said:
Witches are not evil, its the evil warlocks:uhh:

Hmmm , now will it work over the internet :confused: :devil:

Ewoks are evil, too..

wolram said:
Hmmm , now will it work over the internet :confused: :devil:

I drench my PC with holy water from the river Styx, on the full moon of every month.

arildno said:
Ewoks are evil, too..

Blast, so it doesn't work over the net, maybe some modifications are needed. :grumpy:

hypatia said:
I drench my PC with holy water from the river Styx, on the full moon of every month.

So that's why your script is all blurred, i thought my eyes were playing tricks on
me.:uhh:

1. What is the Malleus Maleficarum?

The Malleus Maleficarum, also known as "The Hammer of Witches", is a treatise on witchcraft and the persecution of witches that was written in 1486 by two Catholic clergyman, Heinrich Kramer and Jacob Sprenger.

2. What are the main themes of the Malleus Maleficarum?

The Malleus Maleficarum focuses on the identification, prosecution, and punishment of alleged witches. It also contains instructions for conducting witch trials and the use of torture to extract confessions.

3. How did the Malleus Maleficarum contribute to the witch hunts?

The Malleus Maleficarum played a significant role in the witch hunts during the late medieval and early modern periods. Its teachings and methods were used to justify the persecution and execution of thousands of people, mostly women, who were accused of witchcraft.

4. Is the Malleus Maleficarum considered a reliable source of information?

No, the Malleus Maleficarum is not considered a reliable source of information. It is based on superstition, hearsay, and biased beliefs, rather than scientific evidence. Its teachings have been widely discredited by modern scholars.

5. What impact did the Malleus Maleficarum have on society?

The Malleus Maleficarum perpetuated fear and paranoia surrounding witchcraft, leading to the widespread persecution and execution of innocent people. It also reinforced gender stereotypes and misogyny, as most of those accused and convicted of witchcraft were women.