What is the scope of these courses?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a postgraduate degree in research and their confusion about the available M.Tech courses. The courses mentioned are Solid State Electronic Materials, Laser and Electro-optics, Nanotechnology, System and Control, and Microelectronics Systems. The conversation also mentions the differences between a course-based and thesis-based master's degree and the wide scope of the field of control. The speaker seeks more information about the course content, research topics, and job prospects in different industries.
mechas
What is the scope of these courses??

Hi guys,
I did B.Tech in Electrical and Electronics Engineering in 2009 and now I am going for postgrad. I am very much interested in research as a career. I am considering M.Tech but I am not yet sure about which course to take. So I require some guidance regarding what is involved in the following courses.

1) Solid State Electronic Materials
2) Laser and Electro-optics
3) Nanotechnology
4) System and Control
5) Microelectronics Systems

If some one has any idea about them, please tell me about what research in any of these fields will be like and what are their career scope?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

That seems like a really ambiguous question no? I personally only have experience with systems and control, but this field in and of itself is HUGE! Can you be more precise about what you're looking for?

That seems like a really ambiguous question no?
Yeah, sorry about that. Its just that I am a bit confused.
Can you be more precise about what you're looking for?
What I want is to get an "insider's view" of what these fields are like. Actually these are the programmes available to me for M.Tech, but I have no idea what are they actually about (course content, research topics, applications).
For eg. in Systems and Control, will it include (dominantly) fuzzy logic or neural network or neither, will it be about designing control systems for particular applications or general analysis of system behaviours, etc, and what job prospects will it have in industry(whether in IT, manufacturing or energy industries).

Would it be a course based master or a thesis based masters? If it's course based you can likely check via the university calendar. They will specify what courses you would need to take, and will likely describe what each of those courses covers.

Conversely, a thesis based masters depends on the faculty at your institute. It's unlikely that you'll do much work in fuzzy logic if there is nobody at your university researching it. With a thesis, you can really do whatever you want as long as there's somebody to support you. All that you listed are possible options, but there are much more.

I'm a control theorist and still can't even begin to list all the topics in the field. There are two major subdivisions: open-loop/optimal and closed-loop/feedback control. Do you want to do geometric control or work on Euclidean systems? Do you want to design controllers for specific systems or analyze theory? What is your objective? Are you trying to track a state? Minimize noise? Achieve an unstable equilibrium? Drive a state as fast or as cheap as possible? How about meta-control, like optimal actuator placement? Do you want to do global or local analysis? Do you want to compute solutions in real-time or do you have a-priori knowledge of the system? Is your system finite or infinite dimensional?

My point is that field of control alone is massive. Within the field itself there are countless sub-divisions depending on what you're analyzing. I'm a part of the field and could only tell you about my experience in my specialization and can provide no insight at all into any of the others.

Thanks for the explanation. It cleared things up for me.

1. What is the scope of these courses?

The scope of a course refers to the range of topics and concepts that will be covered throughout the duration of the course. It outlines the boundaries and goals of the course, and provides a framework for understanding the subject matter.

2. How do I determine if a course's scope aligns with my interests?

To determine if a course's scope aligns with your interests, you can review the course description, syllabus, and learning objectives. You can also consult with the instructor or other students who have taken the course to get a better understanding of the topics covered.

3. Can the scope of a course change?

Yes, the scope of a course can change depending on various factors such as updates in the field, student feedback, and instructor discretion. It is important to regularly review the course materials and communicate with the instructor to stay informed about any changes in the course's scope.

4. What is the significance of the scope of a course?

The scope of a course provides a clear direction for both the instructor and students. It helps students understand what to expect from the course and what they will be learning. For instructors, it serves as a guide for creating lesson plans and assessments that are aligned with the course's goals.

5. How does the scope of a course differ from its objectives?

The scope of a course outlines the general topics and themes that will be covered, while the objectives are specific, measurable goals that students should achieve by the end of the course. The scope provides a broader overview, while the objectives provide more specific details about what students will learn.