Electric field intensity/ charge magnitude question

In summary, the problem involves two equal but oppositely charged points 1.0 m apart in a vacuum. The electric field intensity at the midpoint between the charges is 2.4x10^5 N/C. By taking into account the distance and the electric force equation, it is possible to determine the magnitude of each charge. However, it is important to remember that the electric field is a vector quantity and the sum of the electric fields from both charges must be considered.
AladdinSane

Homework Statement

Two equal but oppositely charged points are 1.0 m apart in a vacuum. The electric field intensity at the midpoint between the charges is 2.4x10^5 N/C. What is the magnitude of each charge?

Homework Equations

Electric force= Kc (q/r^2)
Kc=8.99x10^9

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys, first off, thanks for any help given.
My problem is that I am unsure as to how to incorporate both missing charges into the equation.
I tried solving the equation simply by putting in what is given.

2.4 x 10^5 = 8.99x10^9(q/1^2)
2.4x10^5=8.99x10^9 x q
q= .000027

Thus, I only found one charge, and I don't even believe that is right.. Could someone help explain what I am to do? Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to consider the sum of the electric field from each charge at the midpoint. Also, be careful with your distances. The distance from each charge to the point between them is 0.5 meter, not 1 meter.

thanks, hage, but I'm still confused how the two charges are linked, how they fit together to create that 2.4 x 10^5 charge at their midpoint. i tried the problem again, solving it as so...
EF = Kc (q/r^2)
2.4 x 10^5 = 8.99x10^9 q/.25
60000= 8.99x 10^9
q = 6.67x10^-6
q= -6.67x10^-6

i feel like this is still incorrect... thanks again for the future help.

You must add up the electric field from the postive charge with the electric field from the negative charge at the midpoint. Remember, E is a vector quantity. The sum of the two gives 2.4x10^5 N/C at the midpoint. So the idea is E = E1 + E2.

1. What is electric field intensity?

Electric field intensity is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a given point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is measured in volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electric field intensity calculated?

Electric field intensity is calculated by dividing the electric force experienced by a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. Mathematically, it is represented as E = F/q, where E is electric field intensity, F is electric force, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

3. What factors affect the electric field intensity?

The electric field intensity is affected by the magnitude of the source charge, the distance from the source charge, and the medium in which the electric field exists. It also depends on the presence of other charges in the surrounding area.

4. What is the relationship between electric field intensity and charge magnitude?

The electric field intensity is directly proportional to the magnitude of the source charge. This means that as the charge magnitude increases, the electric field intensity also increases. Similarly, if the charge magnitude decreases, the electric field intensity decreases.

5. How is electric field intensity represented graphically?

Electric field intensity can be represented graphically using electric field lines. These lines indicate the direction and strength of the electric field at various points in space. The closer the lines are to each other, the stronger the electric field intensity at that point.