Solving a Physics Society Domino Challenge

In summary, the physics department at M.E.T.U. is working on making a domino show for an international fair, but they are having trouble with the system. They are looking for an acceptable idea for a system that will easily reorder the dominos to the position before they fall. They also mentioned that electrical tape might be the best option for the system.
umut_caglar
Hi to everybody

I am a student in physics department of M.E.T.U (Middle East Technical University). I am also a member of Metu Physics Socity a group of people want us (From the physics Society) to make a domno show for an international fair opening. We thought to make a show with nearly 65000-80000 dominos. Since it is a very big organisation we don't want to make mistakes in the opening day.
Now our problem is that hopw to check all the system is working or not.
-you may say by falling the pieces but there is a problem after falling the dominos we again have to order them to fall but when we reorder them we can again have a posibility of making mistakes. I and my frendsthought that if we make system which can easily reorder the pieces to the position before they are falling we can fall the system see weather is there any mistakes if there is we corrrect it them ve again reprder the pieces with that system and check the system again and the cycle goes until there is no problem in the ordering of pieces. But we coudnt have any idea how to reorder all 65000 or 80000 dominos quickly and also not to change their positions.
Do you have any acceptable idea the divices with fishing lines electromagnets are acceptable. But the system must not be too complex or too expensive (usual enginearing problem). Any idea will welcome

Engineering news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head, all that I can think of is to somehow hinge the individual tiles to the surface that they're on. A small bead of liquid latex along the leading edge might do it, and perhaps even supply enough elastic effect that they'll stand themselves back up when the intial load is removed. :confused:

hinge the individual tiles to the surface that they're on. A small bead of liquid latex along the leading edge might do it,
Actually, Danger - that's a brilliant idea! Not easy though. I don't think the rubber stuff will be easy to apply but it sure would be a cool thing to watch all those dominoes drop like soldiers in no-man's-land as they marched across the floor!

Thanks for the kind words, Q.
As for the application, trying to use a brush or something like that would be pretty inconvenient. The thing that I had in mind is called (in Canada, anyhow) 'Speed Sew'. It comes in a tube like model cement, for hemming clothes and whatnot in a hurry. As nearly as I can tell, it's exactly the same stuff as the 'Mold Maker' that comes in a big jar. I always carry a tube around with me on Hallowe'en to touch up my appliances if they start to come unglued. Applying it (if it's available in umut's area) would just involve squeezing out a bead as you would with silicone sealant. A blow-drier will set it within a couple of minutes.

And yeah... I love watching domino cascades.

Last edited:
As a build-on to Danger's idea, you might also use a piece of tape instead of the latex or glue idea. A small piece of tape on each dominoe might act as a hinge and give you a repeatable performance.

There's with the tape again, Q! Does Steve Smith know about you?
As a matter of fact, though, electrical tape might be the ideal approach. It adheres well, and has just about the right amount of stretch. Good idea!

Okay, I'm back. Just spent a couple of days with N/W's family about 700 km away from the computer. Great food, great company, no internet.
Anyhow, yesterday I thought of a very basic, simple precaution to take in case the hinge thing doesn't work. Trace a pencil line along either the front or back edge and at least one side of each tile as you position it. Then if they don't stay put as planned, at least you know where to put them the next time.

1. How do you approach solving a Physics Society Domino Challenge?

Solving a Physics Society Domino Challenge involves breaking down the challenge into smaller, more manageable parts. This includes identifying the laws of physics that apply, understanding the properties of dominoes, and calculating the required force and energy to complete the challenge.

2. What are the key physics concepts involved in solving a Physics Society Domino Challenge?

The key physics concepts involved in solving a Physics Society Domino Challenge include potential and kinetic energy, Newton's laws of motion, and momentum. Understanding these concepts is crucial in determining the best strategy for completing the challenge.

3. How important is precision in solving a Physics Society Domino Challenge?

Precision is extremely important in solving a Physics Society Domino Challenge. The slightest miscalculation or error in setup can result in the entire challenge failing. It is important to carefully measure and plan each step to ensure success.

4. What skills are necessary for solving a Physics Society Domino Challenge?

Solving a Physics Society Domino Challenge requires a strong understanding of physics principles, as well as problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It also requires patience and attention to detail, as well as the ability to work through trial and error.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for successfully solving a Physics Society Domino Challenge?

Some tips for successfully solving a Physics Society Domino Challenge include starting with a solid foundation, using dominoes with consistent weight and size, and practicing beforehand to perfect the setup and execution. It is also helpful to have a team and delegate tasks to increase efficiency.