How to find challenges to use as a reason to study physics?

In summary, the speaker is struggling with finding a focus for their studies and deciding what to learn. They have a general interest in math, physics, and computer science, but struggle to find practical applications for their knowledge. They are considering more advanced textbooks and possibly collaborating with others to do research. They also mention specific topics they are interested in, such as nuclear bombs, star formation, and the physics behind musical instruments.
nox
Some days i get the itch to study math other days physics, or computer science. I am trying to break old patters and use my time more wisely.

My reasons for study anything is very abstract, cause i don't really need any of these knowledges, and not many really does in todays day of age.
Yesterday i picked up my old young, freedman university physics and realized i am already familiar with everything in this book, and no area in particular attracted me that day, it felt more like a reference for me. I can waste time and restudy thing i studied many times over the last 10 years, but i need to apply the knowledge outside the book.
I got the same problem with math.

I tried to tell myself not to study things i don't need and just fill in the blanks as you need them, problem with this is that i never find a point to start.
So what do i do? How do i find reasons to learn things, real problems to apply my knowledge to? I would like to do my part in pushing human knowledge a bit further. I don't want to master everything cause that is impossible, just to learn anything i need to solve any intressting problen presented.
So how can i use my time learning math and physics not what i might need in the future but use it and apply it now. Where can i throw myself in the deep end so i finally need to brush up on what i used to know and learn new things.

Things that intresst me the most is the idea of humanity reaching star trek, or ironman level technology, i know there will be a long time until we get there but i want to do my part instead of playing video games.

As an illustrative example. Recently i had a programmer job interview challange, and i solved it by remininding myself of linear algebra, and calculus 3, along with a little computer graphics. I had no reason to know this before but it was an amazing feeling using it to solve something in the real world. This is what i mean, to find stuff to do with the knowledge so i can learn much more.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a suggestion: Design and build mechanical/electronic/computer-assisted devices for people with various disabilities (missing limbs, visual/audio/speech-impaired, ...). Technically challenging and serves immediate needs.

nox said:
... to find stuff to do with the knowledge so i can learn much more.
Greetings,

Another suggestion for you to consider. Share your knowledge with others who are less well informed. There are few better ways to learn new things than to help others to learn, and very few things that are as satisfying as such contributions.

Explore the opportunities that are available to you locally as a volunteer tutor for example.ES

Likes berkeman
I make up my own problems often trying to break it on purpose.

nox said:
Yesterday i picked up my old young, freedman university physics and realized i am already familiar with everything in this book
Have you considered moving on to a more advanced textbook in some area(s), e.g. Griffiths for electromagnetism, or Schroeder for thermodynamics and statistical mechanics?

I just ask questions about things. How does this work, why does this happen, how do I make this happen? Usually leads down rabbit holes of studying, into things too advanced for me too understand. So, I accept that I must study physics at university to understand most of these concepts. And that involves a lot of math. So more studying.

For example, how do nuclear or thermonuclear bombs work? How do stars form and what is their life cycle? What is the physics and engineering behind guitars, amplifiers, and pedals/effects? I've always wondered these things. I just never knew I was capable of studying about them until I buckled down and learned the prerequisite math.

Likes Fervent Freyja and nox
jtbell said:
Have you considered moving on to a more advanced textbook in some area(s), e.g. Griffiths for electromagnetism, or Schroeder for thermodynamics and statistical mechanics?
That is a good point, should i just go through the books cover by cover? Yesterday i looked if there was any math i was missing that would be useful in the future, so i started to read about differential geometry.
Are there people on this forum that would like to do research together, some could be grad level other might just be starting but everyone can come with ideas.

Mondayman said:
I just ask questions about things. How does this work, why does this happen, how do I make this happen? Usually leads down rabbit holes of studying, into things too advanced for me too understand. So, I accept that I must study physics at university to understand most of these concepts. And that involves a lot of math. So more studying.

For example, how do nuclear or thermonuclear bombs work? How do stars form and what is their life cycle? What is the physics and engineering behind guitars, amplifiers, and pedals/effects? I've always wondered these things. I just never knew I was capable of studying about them until I buckled down and learned the prerequisite math.
I like the principle but most of those questions i think my university physics book awnsered. This is really great advice though! Now what intresst me is how new future technology can be built, like when i watch movies i get inspired of could be. For instance is it possible to make a pocket dimension, or to manipulate time and space so there is more space in any given area? Could you use the ambient energy signature to deduce the past of every events, and with high probability predict the near future? Can we quantify consiousness, is the brain like a computer or more like a radio? How could we get stupid amount of energy in small space while keeping the device cool?
Etc basically i like to learn physics and science to figure out the biggest questions and things that would make us closer to sci-fi. Basically i am a problem solver, and i feel best when i try to solve real questions that has not be solved yet, only they have to be within my reach within reason.

jtbell said:
Wow. Look at the table of contents of Schroder's book on Thermodynamics and read the free to view pages. Seems like a well written book. Will purchase next pay day.

Likes Mondayman

1. How can I find real-world challenges to study in physics?

One way to find challenges to study in physics is to read scientific journals and articles, which often highlight current research and unsolved problems in the field. You can also attend conferences and seminars to learn about cutting-edge research and network with other physicists.

2. Are there any specific areas of physics that are particularly challenging to study?

Yes, there are many areas of physics that are considered challenging, such as quantum mechanics, astrophysics, and particle physics. These fields often involve complex mathematical concepts and require advanced experimental techniques.

3. How can I use challenges as a reason to study physics?

By identifying specific challenges in physics, you can focus your studies and research on solving these problems. This can provide motivation and a sense of purpose in your studies, as well as contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.

4. Can I create my own challenges to study in physics?

Yes, you can create your own challenges in physics by exploring new ideas and concepts, conducting experiments, and collaborating with other physicists. This can lead to new discoveries and contribute to the overall progress of the field.

5. Are there any resources available to help me find challenges to study in physics?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as online databases, research institutions, and professional organizations. You can also consult with your professors and peers for guidance and suggestions on potential challenges to study in physics.