Are there any happy particle physicist?

In summary, a forum member expresses their concerns about the field of theoretical particle physics and the lack of enthusiasm they have observed in particle physicists. They compare it to the field of biophysics, which they have found to be more tangible and with better job opportunities. They ask for advice from particle physicists about their level of happiness and enthusiasm in the field and their reasons for choosing it. The respondent, a particle physicist, acknowledges the challenges of the field but expresses their passion and drive for understanding the universe. They advise the forum member to explore both fields and choose the one that truly ignites their passion and interests.
korsakov53
Hi all,

I really need your feedback on this especially from particle physicist and biophysicist. When I entered grad school I wanted to do research in theoretical particle physics, but now two years later I realized that I haven't met any particle physicist that is enthusiastic or happy about their work; I can say that I only met frustrated particle physics theorists. they all seem to have this conception about the field; extremely hard: QFT, GR, SM, may be QCD in addition a lot to learn about different codes and long list; research is even harder with too much abstraction that the physics get lost with the complexity of mathematics. Most importantly I haven't met anyone who is optimistic about the future of theoretical particle physics with many considered it to have reached dead end.

On the other hand I have met very happy biophysicists; First It is very easy to study biophysics and research can be started right away with no need to have a long list of textbooks to study first; I know students who are publishing after less than a year in the field. It is more tangible, they know what they are doing and for what purpose. the grad students I know are working on a new subfield in biophysics that is still emerging and thus have tremendous opportunities to excel and have an impact on this emerging field. I don't think particle physicist have this feeling of worth or importance of their work. in addition to this is the availability of job opportunities in biophysics and I don't think I can say the same about particle physics.

I and one friend (a particle physicist) were talking about this and he said he worked very hard to study the most difficult subjects and then gets low pay in addition to so much frustration. when I asked him why he doesn't change he told he already invested time in that field and it is too late. does anyone feel the same?

I was very excited about particle physics but when I was faced with many frustrated particle physicist and much happier biophysicist I am losing my enthusiasm for the field. I would like to ask theoretical particle physics: are happy in your field? do you go everyday to your office with enthusiasm that you are achieving something? Do you still remember the reasons you decided to do research in this field? Did you enjoy studying QFT?

I now have a choice either do particle physics or biophysics, and I don't know which one to choose. everyone says, and I agree, biophysics is better and that I will be happier doing it. But there is something that is pulling me to particle physics as if I have some kind of obsession with the subject. I know most probably I will struggle in it, not achieve much, be under constant pressure, but still when I think that the smarter decision is to give it up I feel an itch. I really need your advice or comments.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

As a particle physicist, I can understand your concerns and frustrations about the field. It is true that theoretical particle physics can be extremely challenging, with a lot of complex mathematics and theories to grasp. However, I can assure you that there are many of us who are still very passionate and enthusiastic about our work. While it may be true that the job market for particle physicists is not as abundant as it is for biophysicists, the opportunities for groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe are endless. It is a field that constantly pushes the boundaries of our knowledge and opens up new possibilities for exploration and discovery.

It is important to remember that every field has its own challenges and rewards. Biophysics may be more tangible and have quicker results, but theoretical particle physics offers a unique and exciting perspective on the fundamental workings of the universe. It is not a field for everyone, and it is perfectly okay to feel unsure about your career path. My advice would be to explore both fields and see which one truly ignites your passion and curiosity.

To answer your questions, yes, I am happy in my field. I go to work every day with enthusiasm and a drive to understand the universe. The reasons I chose to do research in this field are still very much present in my mind, and I enjoy studying QFT. However, that does not mean it is an easy path. It requires a lot of hard work, dedication, and perseverance. But for me, the end goal of contributing to our understanding of the universe makes it all worth it.

In the end, the decision is ultimately yours to make. Do not let the opinions of others sway you. Take the time to truly reflect on your interests and passions, and choose the path that will bring you the most fulfillment and happiness. Both biophysics and theoretical particle physics are valuable fields of study, and whichever one you choose, I am sure you will excel and make a difference.

I wish you all the best in your decision-making process.
A fellow scientist

1. Are particle physicists happy with their job?

Yes, many particle physicists are very passionate about their work and find it fulfilling. They have a strong curiosity and drive to understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe, which brings them a sense of satisfaction and joy.

2. Is being a particle physicist a stressful job?

Like any other job, being a particle physicist has its own challenges and can be stressful at times. However, the excitement of discovery and the satisfaction of solving complex problems often outweigh the stress.

3. Do particle physicists make a lot of money?

The salary of a particle physicist can vary depending on their job position, experience, and location. Generally, they can make a good living, but they do not typically earn as much as some other scientists in fields such as medicine or engineering.

4. What skills are important for a particle physicist?

Particle physicists need a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and computer science. They also need excellent problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and the ability to work well in teams.

5. Is it difficult to become a particle physicist?

Becoming a particle physicist requires a lot of dedication and hard work. It typically involves obtaining an undergraduate degree in physics or a related field, followed by a graduate degree in particle physics. It is a competitive field, but with the right skills and determination, it is possible to become a successful particle physicist.