Particle Physics Instrumentation Research: which UK university?

CzTee96
Hello there! Recently, I was awarded a governmental scholarship to study for a PhD at the University of Cambridge. I am interested in particle detectors (development or characterisation) and am okay with analysis work. Is anyone here studying or has studied at the University of Cambridge and done research/work on the detectors? I heard that Cambridge has a strong reputation in theoretical physics, but I need clarification on the detector aspect. Or should I try other universities like the ICL, which has a strong CMS group? It would be great if anyone could share your experience here or point me to anyone who has experience working there. Thank you for your time! :D

Note: My entry will be in the Easter term of 2023/2024. I applied to Oxford and got rejected, so I don't feel like applying to Oxford again.

Physics news on Phys.org
They seem to have a good website (no worries I googled for you https://www.hep.phy.cam.ac.uk/) detailing what the different groups are doing. Looks like ATLAS and LHCb rather than CMS if that is a factor for you, but they mention detector work. It might be worth contacting some of the people there directly, and find out what projects could look like.

First, there is a difference between developing new detector technologies and applying existing detector technologies to build experiments. You need to decide what you are talking about.

If the former, the UK is not strong. Actually, no place is really strong - the people who drove this field have largely retired or passed away: Georges Charpak, David Nygren, Fabio Sauli, Bill Willis. Also, a lot of this work was done in national or international labs, not so much universities.

If the latter, it's not so much "what" as "when". You want a group that is working on something at the phase you are interested in - design, construction, etc.

Likes berkeman

1. What is Particle Physics Instrumentation Research?

Particle Physics Instrumentation Research is a branch of physics that focuses on developing and improving instruments and technologies used in the study of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. Why is Particle Physics Instrumentation Research important?

Particle Physics Instrumentation Research is crucial for advancing our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and their behavior. It also has practical applications in fields such as medicine, energy, and technology.

3. Which UK universities are known for their Particle Physics Instrumentation Research?

Some of the top UK universities for Particle Physics Instrumentation Research include the University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, University of Edinburgh, and University of Manchester.

4. What kind of research is conducted in Particle Physics Instrumentation at UK universities?

Particle Physics Instrumentation research at UK universities covers a wide range of topics, including detector design and development, data analysis, simulations, and theoretical studies related to particle physics experiments.

5. Are there any opportunities for students to get involved in Particle Physics Instrumentation Research at UK universities?

Yes, many UK universities offer undergraduate and graduate programs in Particle Physics Instrumentation, as well as research opportunities for students to work on projects with faculty and research groups. Students can also apply for internships and summer research programs in this field.