Ansys Tensile Test: Troubleshooting Elongation

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a model in ANSYS for a composite coupon with specific dimensions. The speaker is having trouble getting the model to thin in the middle like a typical tensile specimen. They have tried using Symmetry B.C and a pressure load, but the model only elongates in the Y direction. They also mention trying a similar approach with a circular full section bar and a non-linear material, but only observe thinning on the fixed side and not in the middle of the model. They are seeking help with this issue.
nmm5085
I am trying to create a model in ansys for a composite coupon with a width of .5", height of 9", and thickness of .16". I have input my own material library file with my material data and I am having trouble getting the model to thin at the middle like a tensile specimine would normally do.

I used Symmetry B.C on the bottom edge of the area, and a pressure load of 5000 on the top edge of the area. Whenever I solve the model and look at the Deformed part, it is only elongated in the Y direction.

Any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
We tried to do the same thing with a circular full section bar, fixed on one side and with traction applied on the other side.
Obviously a non linear material it was used, with a typical steel sigma epsilon curve.
What we noticed it is only a thinning on the fixed side, but not in the middle of the model.

1. What is the purpose of a tensile test in Ansys?

The purpose of a tensile test in Ansys is to determine the mechanical properties of a material, such as its strength, stiffness, and ductility. This information can then be used to optimize designs and predict how a material will perform under different loading conditions.

2. How is elongation calculated in Ansys?

Elongation is calculated by measuring the change in length of a specimen during a tensile test. In Ansys, this can be done by tracking the displacement of specific nodes on the specimen and using this data to calculate the elongation percentage.

3. What are some common reasons for elongation not being accurately captured in Ansys?

There are several potential reasons for inaccurate elongation measurements in Ansys, including incorrect boundary conditions, poor mesh quality, or not accounting for material nonlinearities. It is important to carefully review all input parameters and ensure they are accurately representing the physical test being simulated.

4. How can I troubleshoot issues with elongation in Ansys?

If you are experiencing issues with elongation in Ansys, start by double-checking all of your input parameters and boundary conditions. If those appear to be accurate, consider refining your mesh or adjusting material properties to better match the physical test. You may also need to consult with an expert or refer to Ansys forums for further troubleshooting.

5. Can Ansys simulate other types of mechanical tests besides tensile tests?

Yes, Ansys can simulate a variety of mechanical tests, including compression, bending, and fatigue tests. Each type of test may require different input parameters and boundary conditions, so it is important to carefully review the Ansys documentation for specific instructions on how to simulate each type of test.