Extracting mechanical properties from strain-stress plot (real test)

In summary, the lab claims to have obtained a Young's modulus of 187GPa, but the plot suggests it may be lower than that. They have also done other tensile tests on similar samples and the values are also similar.
freddie_mclair
Hi everyone, recently I was working out an elasto-plastic model to make some residual stress predictions: see it here.
Recently I got some real tensile tests results from a lab, therefore I would like to extract a better stress-strain curve to plug into my elasto-plastic model using the Ramberg-Osgood equation. The problem is that I cannot get the Young's modulus that they claim to have obtained!

Here's the tensile test plot:
Tensile-test.jpg

The stress-strain curve I would like to extract corresponds to the plots on the bottom part of the image (ultimate stress around 7.5kN).
The geometry of the samples is the following:
Sample-dimensions.jpg

The results reported by the lab are the following:
  • ##\mbox{- Yield strength: } S_y=480\mbox{ MPa}##
    • from the plot we get ##6{kN}/(\pi 2^2)=477.5\mbox{ MPa}##. OK here!
  • ##\mbox{- Tensile ultimate strength: } S_u=615\mbox{ MPa}##
    • from the plot we get around ##7.5{kN}/(\pi 2^2)=597\mbox{ MPa}##. OK here too!
  • ##\mbox{- Elongation: } 54\%##
    • from the plot, we see that it has been elongated up to around 12mm, which, if we consider the length of the sample to be 24mm, it corresponds to these 50%. Also fine!
  • ##\mbox{- Young's modulus: } E=187\mbox{ GPa}##
    • I unable to get this result... from the plot, the displacement corresponding to the Yield strength (##@6\mbox{ kN}##), ##S_y=480\mbox{ MPa}## is around 0.6mm, which then leads to a strain of ##(24.6-24)/24=0.025##. Consequentially, this gives me an order of magnitude lower for Young's modulus: ##480/0.025=19.2\cdot10^3\mbox{ MPa}##, i.e., ##19.2\mbox{ GPa}##.
What am I doing wrong here?
Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Where did the 187 come from?

Chestermiller said:
Where did the 187 come from?
This is the value declared from the lab report (it's not mentioned how it was calculated).
I was just trying to calculate it (and cross-check it) by myself based on the plot results.

Ah, this is a 306LN stainless steel.

Maybe there's a typo, and a decimal point was omitted?

No, for sure that it is not a typo. Also, for stainless steel, 190GPa are the "normal" values... I just don't get what is happening in the elastic part of this Load VS Displacement plot.

They have done other tensile tests on similar samples, and the values are also similar.

Typical strain values for steel at yield might be in the order of
0.002 rather than .025. Something funny with the decimal point here. Factor of 10. Something is amiss.

1. What is a strain-stress plot and why is it important in mechanical testing?

A strain-stress plot is a graphical representation of the relationship between the amount of deformation (strain) and the applied force (stress) on a material. It is important in mechanical testing because it allows us to measure and analyze the mechanical properties of a material, such as its strength, stiffness, and ductility.

2. How is a strain-stress plot created in a real test?

In a real test, a sample of the material is subjected to an increasing amount of force, while the resulting deformation is measured. The data is then plotted on a graph with strain on the x-axis and stress on the y-axis. The slope of the resulting curve represents the material's stiffness, and the maximum stress point indicates its ultimate strength.

3. What are the different mechanical properties that can be extracted from a strain-stress plot?

Some of the mechanical properties that can be extracted from a strain-stress plot include Young's modulus, yield strength, ultimate strength, and ductility. These properties provide valuable information about a material's ability to withstand external forces and its overall structural integrity.

4. How can the data from a strain-stress plot be used in engineering and design?

The data from a strain-stress plot can be used in engineering and design to select the most suitable materials for a specific application. By analyzing the mechanical properties of different materials, engineers can determine which one will be able to withstand the expected forces and stresses in a particular design.

5. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of extracting mechanical properties from a strain-stress plot?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of extracting mechanical properties from a strain-stress plot include the size and shape of the sample, the testing conditions (such as temperature and humidity), and any defects or imperfections in the material. It is important to carefully control these variables in order to obtain reliable and accurate results.