Does Surface Preparation Affect Tensile Strength in ASTM E8 Tests?

There are various methods of surface preparation that can be used in tension tests, but the most common is polishing.In summary, the conversation discussed performing tension tests on a dog-bone specimen of 6061-T6 extruded aluminum alloy. The ASTM E8 standard specifies that the surface preparation should match that of the product. The speaker is using low grade bar stock and plans to reduce the thickness, but is unsure of the impact of surface preparation on tensile strength. The other person advises following the standard and finishing the test specimens in the same manner as the final product, with polishing being the most common method of surface preparation for tension tests.
eulerddx4
Hi,

I'm performing tension tests using a dog-bone specimen conforming to ASTM E8 on 6061-T6 extruded aluminum alloy. ASTM E8 says the surface preparation should be as the product specified. The material I ordered is low grade bar stock 2" wide by 0.25" thick. If I am going to reduce the thickness of the material from 0.25" thick to 0.125", I'm wondering how the surface should be prepared and whether surface prep really impacts the tensile strength of the aluminum. Any advice or references to literature would be very helpful!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Surface finish is definitely a factor in tensile test strength. Cracks almost always initiate at the surface, and a rough surface is simply a field of cracks waiting to open up.

I suggest that you follow the standard and finish the test specimens the same way you intend your final product to be finished.

1. What is a tension test specification?

A tension test specification is a set of guidelines and procedures for conducting a test to determine the strength and behavior of a material when subjected to a pulling force or tension. It outlines the necessary equipment, sample preparation, and testing parameters to ensure accurate and consistent results.

2. Why are tension test specifications important?

Tension test specifications are important because they provide a standardized method for evaluating the properties of materials. This allows for reliable comparison of data between different materials and ensures that products meet safety and quality standards.

3. What are the common types of tension test specifications?

The most common types of tension test specifications include ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials), ISO (International Organization for Standardization), and EN (European Norm) standards. These specifications are widely used in various industries such as manufacturing, construction, and aerospace.

4. How is a tension test conducted?

A tension test is typically conducted by clamping a sample of the material between two grips and applying a pulling force until the material breaks. The force and displacement are measured and recorded, and then used to calculate the material's stress and strain values.

5. What are the factors that can affect the results of a tension test?

The accuracy and reliability of tension test results can be affected by several factors, such as the specimen's geometry, the testing environment (temperature, humidity, etc.), and the testing machine's calibration. It is essential to follow the specified testing procedures and control these factors to obtain accurate and consistent results.