What Is the Work Done by Gravity on a Falling Raindrop?

In summary: And how do I do B?And how do I do B?In summary, the raindrop experiences a net force of 0.016 J due to gravity and air resistance.
ramin86
A raindrop of mass 3.34 x 10^-5 kg falls vertically at constant speed under the influence of gravity and air resistance. Model the drop as a particle.

(a) As it falls 50 m, what is the work done on the raindrop by the graviatational force?
J
(b) What is the work done on the raindrop by air resistance?
J

For (a), I tried -mg delta y, to get -3.34x10^-5(9.8)(50), but the answer turned out to be wrong. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
ramin86 said:
A raindrop of mass 3.34 x 10^-5 kg falls vertically at constant speed under the influence of gravity and air resistance. Model the drop as a particle.

(a) As it falls 50 m, what is the work done on the raindrop by the graviatational force?

For (a), I tried -mg delta y, to get -3.34x10^-5(9.8)(50), but the answer turned out to be wrong. Please help

Why is it negative? Just recall, what is work?

ehild

Well I found the formula somewhere, and plus it was going downward, but I guess it doesn't work out since the answer was wrong.

ramin86 said:
Well I found the formula somewhere, and plus it was going downward, but I guess it doesn't work out since the answer was wrong.

Work is force times magnitude of displacement times the cosine of the angle between them. Gravity points downward, the raindrop falls downward, so they make zero angle. The work done by the gravitational force is positive. If you give a negative number as result it will be wrong.

ehild

Well I just multipled 3.34*10^-5(9.8)cos(0) to get 3.27e-4

Is this how I do the problem?

Well I got A wrong, can anyone give me an explanation on how to do it?

And how do I do B?

Well let's start from scratch

Work Definition

[tex] W = \vec{F} \cdot \vec{r} [/tex]

Dot Product:

[tex] \vec{A} \cdot \vec{B} = |\vec{A}||\vec{B}|cos
\theta [/tex]

where [itex] \theta [/itex] is the angle between them

[tex] \vec{A} \cdot \vec{B} = A_{x}B_{x} + A_{y}B_{y} +A_{z}B_{z} [/tex]

Applying the definition to our problem we have

[tex] W_{gravity} = m \vec{g} \cdot \vec{r} [/tex]

[tex] W_{gravity} = m |\vec{g}||\vec{r}|cos0^o [/tex]

or

[tex] W_{gravity} = m(-g_{y})(-r_{y}) [/tex]

Answer for both cases is [itex] W = 0.016 J [/itex]

Now Air Resistance Work

Applying again the definition to our problem we have

[tex] W_{air} = \vec{R} \cdot \vec{r} [/tex]

[tex] W_{air} = |\vec{R}||\vec{r}|cos180^o [/tex]

or

[tex] W_{air} = m(R_{y}})(-r_{y}) [/tex]

Do you know what [itex] R = ? [/itex]

Last edited:

FAQ: What Is the Work Done by Gravity on a Falling Raindrop?

1. What is work done by gravity?

The work done by gravity refers to the amount of energy needed to move an object from one position to another in a gravitational field. It is the product of the force of gravity acting on an object and the displacement of the object.

2. How is work done by gravity calculated?

The work done by gravity is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity (mg) by the vertical displacement of the object (Δh). The equation is W = mgΔh.

3. Can the work done by gravity be negative?

Yes, the work done by gravity can be negative if the force of gravity and the displacement of the object are in opposite directions. This means that the force of gravity is acting against the displacement, resulting in a negative value for work.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the work done by gravity?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the work done by gravity, as it is only one component of the equation (mg). However, a heavier object will experience a greater force of gravity, which in turn may result in a greater work done by gravity.

5. What are some real-life examples of work done by gravity?

Some real-life examples of work done by gravity include objects falling from a height, lifting an object against gravity, and using a pulley system to lift objects. The force of gravity is also responsible for keeping objects in orbit around the Earth.

Back