Work done by gravitational force (new problem)

In summary,-The gravitational force does work when an object is displaced vertically by an angle greater than 28 degrees from the direction of the force. -When an object is displaced vertically by an angle less than or equal to 28 degrees from the direction of the force, the gravitational force does no work.
momoneedsphysicshelp
Homework Statement
A block M, with mass of 4 kg, is released from rest and slides down a ramp that is angled at 28° above the horizontal (from the bottom of the ramp). The length of the ramp, d, is 3 meters. How much work is done by the gravitational force as the block slides down the ramp?
Relevant Equations
F=ma, W= F*d*cos(theta)
first to find the force by gravity, it would be
4 kg * 9.8 m/s = 39.2 N
then solve for work using W= F*d*cos(theta)
W = 39.2 N * 3 m * cos 28
= 103.83 J

My confusion is do I use sine or cosine and what angle do I use, the actual angle of the incline or the angle between the mass and the direction of gravity?

Please help if you know, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
momoneedsphysicshelp said:
Homework Statement:: A block M, with mass of 4 kg, is released from rest and slides down a ramp that is angled at 28° above the horizontal (from the bottom of the ramp). The length of the ramp, d, is 3 meters. How much work is done by the gravitational force as the block slides down the ramp?
Relevant Equations:: F=ma, W= F*d*cos(theta)

first to find the force by gravity, it would be
4 kg * 9.8 m/s = 39.2 N
then solve for work using W= F*d*cos(theta)
W = 39.2 N * 3 m * cos 28
= 103.83 J

My confusion is do I use sine or cosine and what angle do I use, the actual angle of the incline or the angle between the mass and the direction of gravity?

Please help if you know, Thanks.

What if ##\theta = 0##?

Relevant Equations:: F=ma, W= F*d*cos(theta)
This formula is practically useless unless you know what ##\theta## means.

PeroK said:
What if ##\theta = 0##?
theta would be 28?

theta would be 28?
I meant, what if you changed the problem so that ##\theta = 0##. Instead of ##\theta = 28°##. Would that help you work out whether you need ##\sin \theta## or ##\cos \theta##?

I think you mean the angle between the displacement and the direction of gravity.
On your previous thread, you declined to answer my question. Please answer this time:
What is that angle, numerically?

haruspex said:
I think you mean the angle between the displacement and the direction of gravity.
On your previous thread, you declined to answer my question. Please answer this time:
What is that angle, numerically?
It would be the complementary angle to 28 degrees, so 62 degrees

I tried the problem again using sin instead of cosine.
work done= force x distance moved in the direction of the force. The vertical height fallen is 3sin28
so work = change in gravitational potential energy = mgh = 4 x 9.81 x 3sin28 = 55J
does this seem more right than my previous answer?

work done= force x distance moved in the direction of the force. The vertical height fallen is 3sin28
so work = change in gravitational potential energy = mgh = 4 x 9.81 x 3sin28 = 55J
does this seem more right than my previous answer?
Yes, this would be a correct approach and a good insight: work = force times distance moved in the direction of the force.

Equivalently, work is distance moved times the component of force in the direction of the distance moved.

There is also the formula: The dot product is given by the product of the magnitudes and the [as it turns out] cosine of the angle between the two.

I've never bothered memorizing whether it's sine or cosine for the dot product. Instead, I use the approach that @PeroK was alluding to. Consider what happens for small angles. And for near right angles.

Or, take the easy way out: Google "dot product sine or cosine".

Likes Lnewqban
It would be the complementary angle to 28 degrees, so 62 degrees
Yes, so that is the angle to put in the cosine in your relevant equation.

In your previous thread, a mass went up a 35 degree slope, so in that case the angle between the displacement and gravity was 125 degrees. Taking the cosine produced a negative value, which is correct: gravity did negative work.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is work done by gravitational force?

Work done by gravitational force is the amount of energy transferred when an object is moved against the force of gravity. It is a measure of the force exerted by gravity over a distance.

2. How is work done by gravitational force calculated?

The work done by gravitational force is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the distance an object is moved against it. The formula is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done by gravitational force?

The unit of measurement for work done by gravitational force is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure other forms of energy.

4. Can work done by gravitational force be negative?

Yes, work done by gravitational force can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the force of gravity. This means that the force of gravity is doing work on the object, rather than the object doing work against gravity.

5. How does the height of an object affect the work done by gravitational force?

The height of an object does not affect the work done by gravitational force. The amount of work done depends on the distance an object is moved against gravity, not the height at which it is located.