Regarding the work done against air resistance

In summary, the question is about calculating the work done against air resistance during a flight, taking into consideration the potential and kinetic energies of the aircraft. The answer explains that the kinetic energy is not included in the calculation because the velocity is constant, and instead, the work done by non-conservative forces (thrust and air resistance) is equal to the change in gravitational potential energy. The concept of energy per unit time is also introduced to provide a more intuitive understanding of the calculation.
vodkasoup
Homework Statement
I am confused by the answer to a question given in an exam past paper. The question asks the work done by an aircraft engine over a period of time and a calculation of air resistance. I have calculated the power of the engine, the work done over a certain time period, and the gain in potential energy. However, I have a question regarding the final calculation of the work done against air resistance.
Relevant Equations
P = Fv
U = mgh
Work = Fd
Here is the question:

1581057287264.png

I have correctly calculated the power produced by the thrust force (P = Force x Velocity = 9.0 × 104W) , the work done by the thrust force over 3 minutes (W = Power x Time = 9.0 × 104 × 3.0 × 60 = 1.6 × 107 J) , and the gain in potential energy over this period (mgh = 1200 × 9.81 × 3.3 × 3.0 × 60 = = 7.0 × 106 J ). The confusion sets in when I try to calculate the work done against air resistance during this time.

I know that the energy 'lost' to air resistance is equal to the total work done minus the energy of the aircraft, i.e., the energy that is 'missing' from the total work done. The marking scheme states that this is equal to the work done minus the gain in potential energy, which comes out as (1.6 × 107 J - 7.0 × 106 J = 9.0 × 106 J .

My question is, why is the kinetic energy of the aircraft not included in this calculation? Surely there is work being done by the engine to produce the kinetic energy which drives the aircraft forward? Should the energy 'lost' to air resistance not then be the total work done minus the sum of both the potential and kinetic energies?

Is it to do with the fact that only the potential energy changes, and not the kinetic energy? Is the 3.0m/s gain in altitude therefore only the vertical component of the 45m/s velocity?

Many thanks for all replies.

Attachments

• 1581057101524.png
    1581057101524.png
    14 KB · Views: 287
Physics news on Phys.org
vodkasoup said:
My question is, why is the kinetic energy of the aircraft not included in this calculation? Surely there is work being done by the engine to produce the kinetic energy which drives the aircraft forward?

No, if the velocity is constant (as we are told) then the kinetic energy is constant (##KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}##!). The work energy principle when expanded to include potential energies goes something like

##W_{non-conservative} + KE_{initial} + PE_{initial} = KE_{final} + PE_{final}##

Evidently the thrust force does non-conservative work, and air resistance is also going to do some negative work. Since the initial and final KE is the same, we can cancel these terms. Essentially you are left with the total work done by non-conservative forces (thrust and air resistance) equals the change in gravitational potential energy.

And as a final note, I find it easier to translate 'work done against something' to 'the negative of the work done by that thing'. I don't particularly like the phrasing work done against, it seems like an unnecessary and confusing way of avoiding negative signs.

A more intuitive way to think about this is in terms of energy per unit time accounting. The engine input is ##P_{in}=F_{thrust}v## units of energy per unit time. That is constant. What does this energy input buy you? It buys you increased potential energy, ##P_{height}=mg\frac{\Delta h}{\Delta t}## and the privilege to move against air resistance, call that ##Q##, which is what you have to find. It does not buy you kinetic energy because the speed is constant. All the energy input per unit time must be spent since energy is neither created nor destroyed. Therefore
$$ P_{in}=P_{height}+Q~\rightarrow~F_{thrust}v=mg\frac{\Delta h}{\Delta t}+Q$$The rest is algebra and substitution. Note that this equation gives you the mechanical work lost to air resistance per unit time. To find a total energy lost to air resistance, you will need a time interval to multiply it by. Yes, as you can see from the above equation, ##\frac{\Delta h}{\Delta t}=3.3~\mathrm{m/s}## is the vertical component of the velocity.

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is caused by the friction between the air and the surface of the object.

2. How does air resistance affect the motion of an object?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of an object by reducing its velocity. This is due to the fact that the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to lose energy.

3. Can air resistance be ignored in certain situations?

In most cases, air resistance cannot be ignored as it is a significant force that affects the motion of objects. However, in situations where the object is small, has a streamlined shape, or is moving at low speeds, the effects of air resistance may be minimal.

4. How can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by changing the shape of the object to make it more streamlined, or by increasing its velocity. Additionally, objects can be coated with materials that reduce drag, such as lubricants or special paints.

5. What is the work done against air resistance?

The work done against air resistance is the amount of energy that is used to overcome the force of drag and maintain the motion of an object. This work is dependent on the velocity, surface area, and shape of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the air.