What math is needed for a basic understanding of quantum mechanics?

In summary, to clearly understand basic quantum mechanics, you will need knowledge of multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and ordinary differential equations. This includes understanding of matrix manipulations, vector spaces, and linear transformations. While partial differential equations and group theory may be useful for advanced courses, they are not necessary for a basic understanding of QM. Additionally, the required level of mathematics may vary depending on the course and the teacher's expertise. The Superstring Theory website offers a comprehensive list of mathematical areas that may be helpful for studying QM, particularly for graduate students in theoretical physics.
Gecko
i seem to make these math threads a lot ^.^. anyways, what math would you need to know to clearly understand basic QM? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to know multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and ordinary differential equations.

That's for "basic" QM (which is what you asked for), so I am leaving out partial differential equations and group theory.

Why not PDEs? Well, while the Schrodinger equation is a PDE, you will be separating it into 4 ODEs (3 space+1 time), and all your ODE methods can be brought to bear.

Why not group theory? The only algebra you'll need for a first course in QM is on matrix manipulations, vector spaces, and linear transformations. You certainly will not have to know about SU(N), generators of groups, etc. The only thing from group theory that will come up is the idea of a nonabelian group, but this will all be self-contained in commutation relations.

For an advanced undergraduate course, you will need to supplement your mathematics with both PDEs and groups.

Still depends on the course material and how much math the teacher knows and is willing to include in the course.For example,my course assumed basic notions of finite dimensional vector spaces (linear algebra),the elementary notions of topology (set,open set,closed set),partial differential equations (for the exercise part),a bit about the functional "delta-Dirac".And that's just about it,because my teacher knew all the math (functional analysis) the understanding of the principles required and,moreover,was willing to teach us.

Daniel.

PS.Integration of functions with maximum 3 variables and special functions (orthogonal polynomials,Bessel functions).

The Superstring Theory website has a three-tiered list of mathematical areas one would need to know for: (1) undergraduate physics; (2) graduate students in theoretical physics; and (3) "hot topics" in string theory.

http://superstringtheory.com/math/index.html

As a non-physicist myself, I'm unable to say how well the same courses would map onto what is needed for quantum mechanics. However, the section on mathematical background for graduate study in theoretical physics seems like it could be relevant.

PDE and Linear Algebra for the introductory stuff. Then when you get into it you'll know what math you'll need for other problems.

1. What math subjects are necessary to understand quantum mechanics?

To understand quantum mechanics, one must have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. In particular, knowledge of vector calculus and complex numbers is essential.

2. Can I understand quantum mechanics without advanced math knowledge?

It is not possible to fully understand quantum mechanics without a solid understanding of advanced math concepts. However, there are introductory resources that use simplified math to introduce the basic principles of quantum mechanics.

3. Is a background in statistics helpful for understanding quantum mechanics?

Yes, a background in statistics is helpful for understanding quantum mechanics. Probability and statistics play a crucial role in the interpretation of quantum mechanics, and many quantum phenomena are described in terms of probabilities.

4. Do I need to know group theory for quantum mechanics?

While knowledge of group theory is not a prerequisite for understanding quantum mechanics, it can be helpful in understanding the symmetries and mathematical structures involved in quantum systems.

5. How can I improve my math skills for quantum mechanics?

To improve your math skills for quantum mechanics, it is recommended to review and practice concepts in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Additionally, learning about vector calculus and complex numbers can also be beneficial.