Can Creation and Annihilation Operators Be Simplified This Way?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of creation and annihilation operators in solving a problem involving momentum states. The goal is to prove that a certain equation holds true, but the initial attempt is incorrect. The conversation then explores different methods to split up the product of operators and eventually comes to a solution using the formula [A,BC] = B[A,C] + [A.B]C. The conversation also briefly touches on using a Kronecker delta and the importance of using a different symbol for the state being discussed.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

I am somewhat new to creation and annhilation operators, but I can reduce the problem to showing that:

[tex] a_{p_1} ^{\dag} a_{p_2} ^{\dag} = a_{p_1} ^{\dag} + a_{p_2} ^{\dag} [/tex]

where
[tex] a_{p_1} ^{\dag} [/tex] is the creation operator for a particle with momentum p1 (if I understand it correctly)

Can someone help prove that?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
[tex]a_{p_1} ^{\dag} a_{p_2} ^{\dag} = a_{p_1} ^{\dag} + a_{p_2} ^{\dag}[/tex]
This can't be right since if it were, then:
[tex]a_{p_1}^{\dag} a_{p_2} ^{\dag} a_{p_3} ^{\dag} = a_{p_1}^{\dag}(a_{p_2}^{\dag} + a_{p_3}^{\dag}) = a_{p_1}^{\dag}a_{p_2}^{\dag} + a_{p_1}^{\dag}a_{p_3}^{\dag} = a_{p_1}^{\dag} + a_{p_2}^{\dag} + a_{p_1}^{\dag} + a_{p_3}^{\dag}[/tex]
In order to do the calculation, apply H and P as defined in equations (10.60) and (10.61) directly to the state in (10.65). Use induction on k.

That's weird though. How can it not be true if

[tex]
\sum_{\vec{j}} \vec{j} a_j ^{\dag} a_j a_{p1}^{\dag} a_{p2}^{\dag}
=
\sum_{\vec{j}} \vec{j} a_j ^{\dag} a_j a_{p1}^{\dag}
+
\sum_{\vec{j}} \vec{j} a_j ^{\dag} a_j a_{p2}^{\dag}
[/tex]

?

In general, for operators, AB = AC does not imply B = C even when A is non-zero.

Yes. I was wrong.

But then somehow you need to split up that long product of [tex] a_{p_k}^{\dag}[/tex] operators. You can commute them by 10.59, but they doesn't really help. Is there another way to split it into two terms?

ehrenfest said:
Yes. I was wrong.

But then somehow you need to split up that long product of [tex] a_{p_k}^{\dag}[/tex] operators. You can commute them by 10.59, but they doesn't really help. Is there another way to split it into two terms?
The formula [A,BC] = B[A,C] + [A.B]C will do nicely.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

For QC 10.7, I am trying to use

[tex] \sum_{\vec{p}} a_p^{\dag} a_p | \Omega > = \sum_{\vec{p}} (a_p a_p^{\dag} -1) | \Omega >[/tex]So, there should probably be a Kronecker delta that has an index that gets summed over or something but I am not really sure where this comes in?

Just to be sure, I want to show that [tex] \sum_{\vec{p}} a_p^{\dag} a_p | \Omega > = n | \Omega > [/tex].

where n is the number of particles in the state omega, right?

By the way, I should probably not be using omega because we are using that for the vacuum state and we want an arbitrary state here, right?

Last edited:
QC 10.7 is done exactly the same way that QC 10.6 is done.

FAQ: Can Creation and Annihilation Operators Be Simplified This Way?

1. What is Zwiebach quick calculation 10.6?

Zwiebach quick calculation 10.6 is a mathematical method developed by physicist Barton Zwiebach for quickly calculating the motion of strings in string theory.

2. How does Zwiebach quick calculation 10.6 work?

This method uses a special set of mathematical equations called "worldsheet equations" to calculate the motion of strings in string theory. These equations take into account the properties of the string, such as its tension and vibration, as well as external forces acting on the string.

3. What makes Zwiebach quick calculation 10.6 different from other string theory calculations?

Zwiebach quick calculation 10.6 is unique in that it uses a simplified set of equations, making it easier and faster to use compared to other methods. It also allows for calculations to be done on a larger scale, making it useful for studying complex phenomena in string theory.

4. Can Zwiebach quick calculation 10.6 be used for other types of calculations?

While it was originally developed for use in string theory, the principles of Zwiebach quick calculation 10.6 can be applied to other fields of physics, such as fluid dynamics and elasticity. It can also be modified for use in other branches of science that involve complex mathematical calculations.

5. What are the potential applications of Zwiebach quick calculation 10.6?

This method has the potential to greatly enhance our understanding of string theory and its implications for the universe. It can also be used in practical applications, such as designing new materials or predicting the behavior of complex systems. Additionally, Zwiebach quick calculation 10.6 has the potential to be used in future technological advancements, such as quantum computing.