Swinging on a rope minimum horizontal speed

In summary, the hiker should be moving at a minimum horizontal speed of 2.7 m/s when she starts to swing.
fire765
A hiker plans to swing on a rope across a ravine in the mountains, as illustrated in the figure, where L = 4.9 m and x = 2.7 m, and to drop when she is just above the far edge. At what minimum horizontal speed should she be moving when she starts to swing(in m/s)?

5-32alt.gif

I tried using the equation for range (x=(vo^2sin2(angle))/g but it didnt work, and I am guessing I am on the complete wrong track.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you do it the other way round? Suppose the hiker starts from the right at zero speed. Like a pendulum, she has to swing to the left side, and you can find the speed on the left side. Reversing the situation will give you that required speed.

If you don't like this approach, I will of course give you the solution.

You can also think about it this way, when the hiker is above the second edge, he has gained potential energy but lost kinetic energy. Equate the two and you get your minimum velocity.

fire765 said:
I tried using the equation for range (x=(vo^2sin2(angle))/g but it didnt work, and I am guessing I am on the complete wrong track.
That range equation is for finding the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile--where the only force acting on the object is gravity. In this problem, the hiker is not a projectile--she's hanging on to a rope!

Use conservation of mechanical energy.

Draw a proper diagram. The two positions of the rope make up an isosceles triangle. Drop a perpendicular from the right end-point (where she’s holding the rope), to the vertical rope on the left. The length of that perpendicular is x. Let the increase in vertical height from left position to the right position be h. Now you have a right angled triangle relating x, L and h.

The KE at the start on the left is becoming PE on the right, because she has gained a height of h. Now can you say what should have been the initial KE to rise through a height h?

What is the minimum horizontal speed needed to swing on a rope?

The minimum horizontal speed needed to swing on a rope is dependent on a few factors such as the length and weight of the rope, the angle at which it is swung, and the weight and height of the person swinging. However, in general, a minimum speed of 2-3 meters per second is required for a person to successfully swing on a rope.

How do you calculate the minimum horizontal speed needed to swing on a rope?

To calculate the minimum horizontal speed needed to swing on a rope, you can use the formula v = √(rg(1-cosθ)), where v is the minimum speed, r is the length of the rope, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle at which the rope is swung.

What happens if the minimum horizontal speed is not reached while swinging on a rope?

If the minimum horizontal speed is not reached while swinging on a rope, the person may not be able to gain enough momentum to complete the swing and may end up falling off the rope. This can result in injuries, depending on the height and surface below.

Can the minimum horizontal speed vary for different types of ropes?

Yes, the minimum horizontal speed needed to swing on a rope can vary for different types of ropes. For example, a thicker and heavier rope may require a higher minimum speed compared to a thinner and lighter rope.

Is there a maximum horizontal speed for swinging on a rope?

Yes, there is a maximum horizontal speed for swinging on a rope. Going too fast can cause the person to lose control and potentially injure themselves or others. It is important to always swing at a safe and controlled speed.