Formation of Voids: Unclear Picture

• Thread starter hellfire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formation
In summary, there seems to be confusion in the literature about what constitutes a void and how it is defined. N-body simulations seem to match observations well, but not perfectly, indicating that our understanding is not complete. The issue of voids becomes complicated when different groups define them differently, leading to a "void problem." However, there is evidence that voids did exist before galaxies formed, but the distribution of quasars at z > 2 does not show voids. This may be due to the difficulty of defining voids at high redshifts. Overall, the distribution of matter in the universe, including voids and filamentary structures, is consistent with predictions from inflation theory.
hellfire
Science Advisor
I think this question was addressed many times in the literature but I was not able to make a clear picture for an answer. It is known that peculiar velocities of galaxies are too small to explain the formation of voids. Voids must have existed already before galaxies were in place with their usual speeds. However, I do not understand how this is consistent with two facts: (i) we do not expect to find clusters beyond z > 2. Clustering is also evolutionary, so why should the formation of voids follow a different history? (ii) Quasar distribution at z > 2 shows no clustering nor voids.

Space news on Phys.org
I think you're right. I don't think there is really much of a void problem, N-body simulations using the best fit parameters from observations match the structure seen pretty well. Of course the match is never perfect, that just tells us we don't know everything!

I think there is a lot of confusion in the literature about exactly what constitutes a void. A void in an underdense region, but how underdense? Clusters, the other end of the non-linear growth spectrum are easier to understand, since you can see them, rather than seeing them by not seeing them. However even clusters are poorly understood on many levels. You get a problem with voids when one group defines a void one way when say matching to simulations, then another group defines it differently when looking at data, apparently uncovering a 'void problem'.

For instance, I can't remember the exact reference but there was a paper that found a void in (I think) the NVSS galaxy catalogue. This was widely reported in the media and described an empty region as being so many millions of light years across etc. LCDM models don't predict empty regions anywhere near that big, so there was hints of a problem. However, this 'void' was far from empty, there were plenty of galaxies seen within it, just far fewer galaxies than elsewhere. Counting galaxies is a very uncertain method for determining the mean underdensity of a large region since galaxy formation is not well enough understood.

I guess one of the conclusions about structure formation that can be inferred from the peculiar speeds is that there was no, or not substantial, structure formation in voids. Otherwise those structures should have moved away from the voids towards filaments or superclusters, and there is not enough time for that. The point is then why don't we observe voids in the distribution of quasars, for example?

Hi hellfire,
hellfire said:
... we do not expect to find clusters beyond z > 2.
Do you mean "galaxy clusters" or "superclusters"? I assume it's the latter.

Jon

Yes, I had superclusters in mind, considering them on the same hierarchy than voids somehow. I think we should expect some galaxy clusters at z > 2, but no superclusters. However, after some reflection I do not think that this argument about superclusters is correct, because we can actually have voids without superclusters. This may happen even in the z = 0 universe I think, if voids are sepparated by sheets and filaments of galaxies. In such a pattern superclusters are especially dense clumps or nodes. More interesting seemed to me the fact that the quasar distribution does not show voids. However, even this is now unclear to me, because after some search I found some references that describe quasar clustering and weak patterns beyond z > 2. At the end of the day I think that Wallace addressed it in the right way: it depends on the definition of void and the relative densities. At z >~ 2 definitions that hold for z = 0 may be difficult to apply.

Last edited:
The higher the redshift the less the clustering you expect to see, since the Universe starts smooth and gets increasingly lumpy. I'm not sure that I've heard of any major disagreements with this principle in the data? Voids, clusters etc are just ways of simplifying the description of structure in human terms. Analysis of the density field power spectrum at various redshifts, using different types of galaxies and quasars as tracers of the density field give a result consistent with predictions, at least as far as I'm aware.

Voids are not a problem, filamentary structure is more the issue. Is the universe 'old' enough to display the observed distribution of matter? I believe that is the essential question. The short answer is . . . not without something that looks a lot like inflation.

Last edited:
just a minor contribution: its hard to try to compare the evolution of underdense regions with overdense regions (a la voids vs quasars) because the density distribution is not symmetric. What I mean is, looking at the over density rho/rho_c - 1 the lowest value you can possibly get is 0, but the overdensity can be much greater than 1.

just to correct my post above, the lowest value you can get is -1 not 0

What is the formation of voids?

The formation of voids refers to the creation of empty spaces or gaps in a material or structure. These voids can occur naturally through processes such as erosion or can be intentionally created through manufacturing techniques.

What causes void formation?

Voids can be caused by a variety of factors, including the properties of the material being used, external forces such as pressure or temperature changes, and manufacturing processes. The specific cause of void formation can vary depending on the context.

Why is the picture of void formation unclear?

The picture of void formation is often unclear because it can be a complex and multi-faceted process. It can involve various factors and occur at different scales, making it difficult to capture a complete and accurate picture. Additionally, void formation can be influenced by external factors that are difficult to control or predict.

What are the consequences of void formation?

The consequences of void formation can vary depending on the context. In some cases, voids can weaken the structural integrity of a material or cause it to fail. In other instances, voids may be necessary for the functionality of a product, such as in the case of porous materials used for filtration. Additionally, voids can affect the physical, mechanical, and chemical properties of a material.

How can void formation be prevented?

The prevention of void formation can involve a combination of material selection, design considerations, and manufacturing techniques. By understanding the potential causes of voids, steps can be taken to minimize their occurrence. Quality control measures can also be implemented to identify and address voids before they become a problem.