High pressure vane pump/engine

In summary, building a compressed air engine using a rotary vane pump would require careful consideration of the bending stresses on the vanes, reducing friction through various methods such as using wheels for the vanes, and proper sealing using rubber or metal-on-metal seals. Consulting an expert in mechanical engineering or rotary vane pumps would greatly improve the chances of a successful design.
kandelabr
Hello.
if i decided to build a compressed air engine based on rotary vane pump, it would have to withstand very high pressures and have as little friction as possible. I'm talking about a cylinder, 4" in diameter and 1/2" long. this thing should work on pressure difference of cca. 150 bar (450 in - 300 out).

the problems i see, are:
1. bending stresses on vanes
this is not really a problem, i guess. vanes could be ridiculously thick and short (with making the inner rotating cylinder large enough compared to the housing thus reducing the bending moment). increasing the number of vanes would also reduce it.

2. friction
i guess the greatest losses would be caused by friction between the vanes and the rotor. I'm thinking of putting the vanes "on wheels" - see sketch.

3. sealing
that's a topic I'm not familiar with at all. how are modern vane pumps made? what about rubber seals (hydraulic/pneumatic)?
i've also heard of metal-on-metal seals that are nothing but two smooth and flat surfaces touching each other. they have a little leak, but that's just what keeps them "sealed".
there could be just two touching metals and grease between. how good would that be?
i could also glue an elastic bag into every compartment and put it on a metal plate with rollers where it would have glided otherwise. this would greatly reduce the number of spots where leaks could have occured.

keep in mind there's never a full 150 bar difference on one seal since pressure drops gradually through a number of vanes.

Attachments

• sk1.jpg
    sk1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 414
Engineering news on Phys.org
To ensure a successful design, it would be best to consult an expert in mechanical engineering or someone who specializes in rotary vane pumps. They could provide you with the best design solutions to meet your specific requirements while minimizing friction and ensuring proper sealing. Additionally, the expert could advise you on the selection of materials and lubricants that could further reduce wear and tear, as well as any potential problems associated with the high pressure.

1. What is a high pressure vane pump/engine?

A high pressure vane pump/engine is a type of positive displacement pump that uses rotating vanes to create suction and draw fluid into the pump. It then uses the rotation of the vanes to pressurize and discharge the fluid at a high pressure. This type of pump is commonly used in hydraulic systems, fuel systems, and other applications where high pressures are required.

2. How does a high pressure vane pump/engine work?

A high pressure vane pump/engine works by using a rotor with multiple vanes that rotate within a cavity. As the rotor turns, the vanes slide in and out of the rotor, creating chambers that change in volume. This change in volume creates suction, drawing fluid into the pump and then compresses it to a high pressure as the vanes rotate and the chambers decrease in volume. The pressurized fluid is then discharged through an outlet port.

3. What are the benefits of using a high pressure vane pump/engine?

Some benefits of using a high pressure vane pump/engine include its compact size, high efficiency, and ability to handle a wide range of fluid viscosities. It also has a smooth and continuous flow, making it suitable for applications that require precise and consistent pressure. Additionally, vane pumps/engines are known for their quiet operation and low maintenance requirements.

4. What are the common applications of a high pressure vane pump/engine?

High pressure vane pumps/engines are commonly used in hydraulic systems, such as in heavy machinery and equipment, as well as in fuel systems for vehicles and aircraft. They are also used in industrial applications for high pressure cleaning, lubrication, and chemical processing. In the medical field, vane pumps/engines are used in medical devices such as dialysis machines and anesthesia systems.

5. What should be considered when selecting a high pressure vane pump/engine?

When selecting a high pressure vane pump/engine, factors such as the required flow rate, fluid viscosity, operating pressure, and temperature range should be considered. It is also important to choose a pump that is compatible with the type of fluid being pumped and to consider the pump's size, weight, and efficiency. Additionally, the reliability, maintenance requirements, and cost of the pump should be taken into account.