Solving for n in \theta = \frac{360}{n}: Step-by-Step Math Problem Help

• Thread starter GLprincess02
  • Start date
In summary, we have a student who is trying to solve for n in the equation \theta=\frac{360}{n}. They are seeking help and have received guidance on how to isolate n on one side of the equation by multiplying both sides by \frac{n}{\theta}. There is also a brief discussion about the diversity of learning levels and backgrounds on the forum.
GLprincess02
I have to take [tex]\theta=\frac{360}{n}[/tex] and solve for n. I think I may have the first step, but then I get lost. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
GLprincess02 said:
I have to take [tex]\theta=\frac{360}{n}[/tex] and solve for n. I think I may have the first step, but then I get lost. Help!

[tex] {n} = \frac{360}\theta\ [/tex]

neophysique said:
[tex] {n} = \frac{360}\theta\ [/tex]
Keep in mind that under the Homework Forum guidelines, that we should not be solving problems for students, especially in a single step. It's better to be tutorial and help the student figure out the solution on their own. Like, you could have asked, "What can you multiply both sides of that equation by to give you n = something?"

Yes, while I thank neophysique for the answer, I am still a bit confused on how to go about solving it. Do you multiply both [tex]\theta[/tex] and 360 by n and then divide both sides by [tex]\theta[/tex]?

GLprincess02 said:
Yes, while I thank neophysique for the answer, I am still a bit confused on how to go about solving it. Do you multiply both [tex]\theta[/tex] and 360 by n and then divide both sides by [tex]\theta[/tex]?
Yes, you multiply both sides by [tex]\frac{n}{\theta}[/tex] to give you what you want on the left hand side. After a while doing this kind of algebra, you'll see that a shortcut way to think about it is to exchange the numerator of one side (in this problem the numerator of the left) with the denominator of the other side (the right). You kind of visually do the exchange and then write it down without having to multiply both sides by the same factor. Make sense?

Yes it does. Thank you! :smile:

GLprincess02 said:

you try to isolate n on one side. you are basically trying to move theta
to the right of the equal sign and n to the left. to move theta you
have to divide both sides by theta so that the left side = 1. Then
you move the n by multiplying both sides by n.

I thought this was a joke so I gave what I thought a funny response

neophysique said:
I thought this was a joke so I gave what I thought a funny response
Yeah, there is a tremendous breadth of learning level here on PF. It took me a while to get used to fielding basic high school math questions as well, but it's important to look at the person's question and try to tailor your responses the best you can to be a useful tutor for them. I've also learned that we have PF posters from all over the world, so I have to restrain myself sometimes in commenting about their grammar in their posts. I'm sure that their English is better than my Japanese or French!

Thanks for updating your post, neo, and welcome to the PF.

Gee, I feel pretty stupid now...:uhh:

GLprincess02 said:
Gee, I feel pretty stupid now...:uhh:
Why? Keep on asking questions and keep on learning. There's plenty left to go! :biggrin:

1. How do I start rewriting a math problem?

To start rewriting a math problem, first make sure you understand the problem and its original wording. Then, break it down into smaller, simpler parts and try to rephrase each part using your own words. This will help you gain a better understanding of the problem and how to solve it.

2. Why is rewriting a math problem important?

Rewriting a math problem helps you to better understand the problem and its underlying concepts. It also allows you to approach the problem from a different perspective, which can often lead to new insights and solutions. Additionally, rewriting can help you catch any mistakes or errors in the original problem.

3. What are some strategies for rewriting a math problem?

Some strategies for rewriting a math problem include simplifying the language and vocabulary used, using diagrams or visuals to represent the problem, and breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or using real-life examples to better understand the concepts involved.

4. How do I know if I have successfully rewritten a math problem?

If you have successfully rewritten a math problem, you should have a clear and concise understanding of the problem and its underlying concepts. Your rewritten problem should also be easier to understand and solve compared to the original problem. You can also check your solution to see if it aligns with the answer to the original problem.

5. Can I rewrite a math problem in more than one way?

Yes, you can rewrite a math problem in multiple ways. In fact, it is often beneficial to approach a problem from different angles and perspectives to gain a deeper understanding of it. However, make sure to stay true to the original problem and not change its meaning or the concepts involved.