Conservation of mechanical energy This is simple but I am puzzledNeed help

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the change in height when two balls collide. The original poster (OP) drew a picture and provided additional information about the scenario. The OP's solution for the maximum height is 0.5m, but the book's answer is 0.25m. The book's solution is based on the assumption that energy is cut in half during the collision, while the OP's teacher's solution is based on the conservation of momentum during the collision. The book's answer is correct, but the solution is not very clear. The OP's teacher's solution is also correct and provides a more thorough explanation.
beatenbob
Hi everyone I am a newbie here. I have a question regarding the change in height when two ball collides. I have draw a picture and uploaded the attachment below.

Here are some Additional information:
Ball A rolls down a frictionless slope and collide with a stationary Ball B. Both balls move together up again the frictionless slope and achieved a height, h. Note that both balls have equal masses, what is the maximum height attained by the balls after the collision?

Well, I have tried and I get the height 0.5m as my answer. But, the answer in the book is 0.25m. Below is the solution taken from the book:
Initial PE = 2(Final PE)
mg(1) = 2(2m)gh
h = 0.25m

Whereas this is my teacher's solution:

Initial PE = 10m Joules

Velocity of Ball A just before it collides with Ball B:
10m = 1/2*m*v^2
v = 20^0.5
Then, the velocity is divided by 2 (I don't know why):cry::confused:
It becomes:
1/2(2m)(1/2*20^0.50)^2 = 2mgh
Then he get the answer h= 0.25m

Well,my solution is :
Initial PE(Ball A) = Final PE(Ball A and Ball B)
mgh = (2m)gh
h = 0.5m

**I just couldn't understand why the book wrote 2(2m), and so, my teacher, made the velocity halved during his calculation. Can somebody point me out and give me explanation why it is 2(2m) ??

Thanks much!

Attachments

• DOC2.doc
    24 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
beatenbob said:
Well, I have tried and I get the height 0.5m as my answer. But, the answer in the book is 0.25m. Below is the solution taken from the book:
Initial PE = 2(Final PE)
mg(1) = 2(2m)gh
h = 0.25m
The book's answer is correct, but the solution isn't very helpful. The first step assumes that you know that energy is cut in half during the collision--but they really should prove that. (It's true though.)

Whereas this is my teacher's solution:

Initial PE = 10m Joules

Velocity of Ball A just before it collides with Ball B:
10m = 1/2*m*v^2
v = 20^0.5
Then, the velocity is divided by 2 (I don't know why):cry::confused:
Because during the collision momentum is conserved, not energy:
[tex]mv_i = (2m)v_f[/tex]
[tex]v_f = v_i/2[/tex]
It becomes:
1/2(2m)(1/2*20^0.50)^2 = 2mgh
Then he get the answer h= 0.25m
Right.

Well,my solution is :
Initial PE(Ball A) = Final PE(Ball A and Ball B)
mgh = (2m)gh
h = 0.5m
You assume conservation of energy, which doesn't apply during the collision. Momentum is conserved during the collision, but energy is lost.

From conservation of momentum we know that the speed is cut in half during the collision. Let's see what happens to the kinetic energy:
[tex]{KE}_i = 1/2 m v_i^2[/tex]
[tex]{KE}_f = 1/2 (2m) v_f^2 = 1/2 (2m) (v_i/2)^2 = 1/2 {KE}_i[/tex]

That's why the book can say that the initial PE is twice the final PE.

Okay thanks Doc Al...Your explanation makes sense to me..Thanks lot

1. What is conservation of mechanical energy?

Conservation of mechanical energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. How is mechanical energy conserved?

Mechanical energy is conserved through the principle of work-energy theorem. This theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic and potential energy. In other words, the energy put into a system through work is equal to the energy gained by the system.

3. What are the different forms of mechanical energy?

There are two main forms of mechanical energy: kinetic energy and potential energy. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state.

4. How is conservation of mechanical energy applied in real-life situations?

Conservation of mechanical energy is applied in many real-life situations, such as the motion of a pendulum or a roller coaster. In these examples, the total amount of mechanical energy (kinetic + potential) remains constant, even as the form of energy changes between the two types.

5. What happens if mechanical energy is not conserved?

If mechanical energy is not conserved, it means that there is an external force acting on the system, causing energy to be lost or gained. This can result in changes in the motion or position of the objects in the system. Violations of conservation of mechanical energy are rare and often indicate the presence of external factors such as friction or air resistance.