Exploring J Richard Gott's Self-Creating Universe Theory

• Thread starter stratovarius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, Dr. Gott's theories about a self-creating universe are still up for debate, but he has a lot of support within the scientific community. Some people think his ideas are impossible, but I think they're beautiful.
stratovarius
Hello, I'm new to this forum. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is familiar with J Richard Gott's theories of a self-creating universe. Are his arguments still valid today, I was told that there have been recent breakthroughs in detecting background radiation which have conclusively proven that the big bang is THE way it all started, but I think that the self creating universe fits very well. I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
I don't think his ideas have ever been valid. He was a crank.

The self-creating universe in his own words:

"it would be like having one branch of a tree circle around and grow up to be the trunk. In that way, the universe could be its own mother."

He wasn't much interested in expanding on his ideas with anything like...you know...science.

Chimps said:
I don't think his ideas have ever been valid. He was a crank.

The self-creating universe in his own words:

"it would be like having one branch of a tree circle around and grow up to be the trunk. In that way, the universe could be its own mother."

He wasn't much interested in expanding on his ideas with anything like...you know...science.

If you are talking about this person http://www.princeton.edu/astro/people/faculty/jrg/ then he doesn't sound like a crank to me...

Garth

They are one and the same person, I read an interview referenced on the Princeton site and found the quote that Chimps disparaged.

But I agree with you Garth. He doesn't seem like a crank to me at all. They don't usually hire cranks as professors in Astrophysics at Princeton.

He might have some unusual ideas but that doesn't make him a crank.

Dr. Richard Gott with be a speaker at the INTERNATIONAL SHERWOOD FUSION THEORY CONFERENCE, APRIL 19-21, 2010, Seattle, Washington. :smile:

Made me think about:

"Every time you look up at the sky, every one of those points of light is a reminder that fusion power is extractable from hydrogen and other light elements, and it is an everyday reality throughout the Milky Way Galaxy."

--- Carl Sagan, Spitzer Lecture, October 1991

For centuries, the way in which the sun and stars produce their energy remained a mystery. During the Twentieth Century, scientists discovered that they produce their energy by the fusion process. Einstein's theory that mass can be converted into energy provided the basis for understanding fusion. This theory was further explored by other physicists who discovered two practical methods for achieving this conversion.
[Read on . . .]
http://www.pppl.gov/fusionenergy.cfm

Also, Dr. J. Richard Gott, III did write "A GOAL FOR THE HUMAN SPACEFLIGHT PROGRAM."
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/368985main_GottSpaceflightGoal.pdf

Dr. J. Richard Gott, III is highly respected by the scientific community.

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly hope he's not a crank, or my reading his books would seem like a waste of time. ;)

So does anyone have opinions on his theories, because I find the idea of a fractal universe very beautiful. I'm going to give a presentation on some of his theories in my speech class, so some quotes or opinions would be very appreciated. Thanks

Is this an ontological paradox? What is his theory exactly?

He wrote a paper in the 90s describing a universe in which quantum fluctuations can cause "baby universes" to branch off of the original one. One of the babies then curved back around to the original branch by traveling back through time to form a CTC (Closed Timelike Curve).

[PLAIN]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8202/selfcreation.jpg

Hi Stratavarius

Some form of Self creation is at the heart of most cosmological theories - but the devil is in the details - Big Bang doesn't exclude self creation - it can be an event or era in an longer evolutionary process that begin earlier - perhaps in the infinite past- whether Gott's theories with closed timelines are realistic is yet to be verified - many cosmologists (Like Eddington) have expressed the view that they would be more comfortable with a less abrupt "Big Bang" The author of Post #3 above has published a very thoughtful paper entitled "Self Creation Cosmology" You might wish to read it in connection with your other material

He published this paper:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0405094v5"

I stumbled on his article in my research and I thought that it was quite good, the math is a little over my head, but the people in my class shouldn't notice my ignorance.:biggrin:

1. What is the concept of a self-creating universe?

The concept of a self-creating universe is based on the idea that the universe and everything within it is constantly evolving and creating itself. This theory suggests that the universe is not a static entity, but rather an ever-changing and self-sustaining system.

2. How does a self-creating universe differ from traditional theories of the universe's origin?

In traditional theories, the universe is seen as a one-time event that was created by a singular event, such as the Big Bang. However, in a self-creating universe, there is no single beginning or end. Instead, the universe is constantly in a state of creation and evolution.

3. What evidence supports the idea of a self-creating universe?

One of the main pieces of evidence for a self-creating universe is the observation of ongoing cosmic expansion. This suggests that the universe is constantly expanding and creating new space. Additionally, the discovery of dark energy and dark matter also supports the idea of a continuously evolving universe.

4. Can a self-creating universe coexist with religious beliefs about the creation of the universe?

Yes, a self-creating universe can coexist with religious beliefs about the creation of the universe. Many religious beliefs view God or a higher power as the ultimate creator and sustainer of the universe. In this sense, the concept of a self-creating universe does not contradict religious beliefs, but rather offers a scientific perspective on the ongoing creation and evolution of the universe.

5. How does the concept of a self-creating universe impact our understanding of the future of the universe?

The concept of a self-creating universe suggests that the universe will continue to evolve and create itself indefinitely. This means that the future of the universe is not predetermined or fixed, but rather open to constant change and growth. It also challenges previous theories about the ultimate fate of the universe, such as the Big Crunch or the Big Rip.