Looking for book Physics and Applications of the Josephson Effect

In summary, the conversation is about finding the book "Physics and Applications of the Josephson Effect" for a project related to the Josephson effect. The person suggests using a website called worldcat.org to find the book and another person mentions a website where the book can be downloaded for free, but it may be copyrighted. The copyright is confirmed to still be in effect and it is unlikely that the book is legally available for free download.
ferry2
Looking for book "Physics and Applications of the Josephson Effect"

Hello. I'm at the beginning of a project related to the Josephson effect and need the book "Physics and Applications of the Josephson Effect". I searched her long time, but I fail to find it. If anyone has it I would greatly appreciate it if you shared with me:).
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

ferry2 said:
Hello. I'm at the beginning of a project related to the Josephson effect and need the book "Physics and Applications of the Josephson Effect". I searched her long time, but I fail to find it. If anyone has it I would greatly appreciate it if you shared with me:).
Thanks in advance.

Just a thought, go to:

http://www.worldcat.org/

enter "Physics and Applications of the Josephson Effect"

You should be able to enter your zip code and see if the book is near you, hope this helps.

Yes, the copyright appears to still be in effect.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ15a.pdf

So it's unlikely that the book is legally available for free download. Does that website eknigu have a copyright policy stated?

Thanks you all :)

1. What is the Josephson Effect?

The Josephson Effect is a phenomenon in which a supercurrent, or a flow of charge carriers without resistance, is generated between two superconductors that are separated by a thin insulating barrier. This effect was first observed in 1962 by Brian David Josephson, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1973 for his discovery.

2. What are some applications of the Josephson Effect?

The Josephson Effect has numerous applications in various fields, including metrology, electronics, and quantum computing. It is used in devices such as superconducting quantum interference devices (SQUIDs) for highly sensitive magnetic field measurements, and in Josephson junctions for creating high-speed, low-power digital circuits.

3. What is the significance of the Josephson Effect in the study of superconductivity?

The Josephson Effect is significant because it provides a way to measure and manipulate superconducting properties, such as critical current and energy gap, in a precise and controlled manner. It also helps to understand the underlying physics of superconductivity and has led to advancements in the development of superconducting materials and devices.

4. What are some challenges in studying and utilizing the Josephson Effect?

One major challenge in studying the Josephson Effect is the need for extremely low temperatures, typically below 10 Kelvin, to maintain the superconducting state of the materials involved. This requires specialized equipment and techniques. Additionally, the Josephson Effect can be affected by external factors, such as magnetic fields, which must be carefully controlled in experiments and applications.

5. How does the Josephson Effect relate to quantum mechanics?

The Josephson Effect is a manifestation of quantum mechanics at the macroscopic scale. It involves the tunneling of Cooper pairs, which are pairs of electrons bound together by their interactions with the crystal lattice, through the insulating barrier between the superconductors. This phenomenon cannot be explained by classical physics and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.