Can We Trust Eye Witness Testimony?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Is that the person you saw running from the bank? And is he the person who just tried to rob the bank? A lot of people would jump to the conclusion that the person they saw running was the one who robbed the bank, and the kid wearing similar clothing is the same one they saw running, even if it's the popular clothing style every kid is wearing. Nevermind that the person trying to rob the bank walked out wearing slacks, a nice shirt, and tie, and the kid running from the bank was just running scared when he realized it was being robbed.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Would you be a good witness.

http://agora.stanford.edu/sjls/Issue%20One/fisher&tversky.htm

This is one study that suggests eye witnesses can be unreliable, and i guess unless you have a uncoruptable photographic memory i would not stake my life on you remembering an event that could have happened weeks months
ago correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
So falls the western legal system.

Darn, ohh well.. better let out all the crinimals

Anttech said:
Darn, ohh well.. better let out all the crinimals

And if you were the one accused of a crime and your fate was dependant on eye witness evidence, would you be so flipant ?

I can never remember if I locked the door or not in the morning...

J77 said:
I can never remember if I locked the door or not in the morning...

So would will you testify in a court of law that your version of an event you saw is accurate?

wolram said:
And if you were the one accused of a crime and your fate was dependant on eye witness evidence, would you be so flipant ?

:rolleyes:

I will presume that is a retorical question, and there is no need to give an answer. :smile:

Anttech said:
:rolleyes:

I will presume that is a retorical question, and there is no need to give an answer. :smile:
?
No if you can not rely on your memory why should i, if you have some image
retetion cababillity that is uncorutptable i will trust you , but how can you show that your memory is undoubtable?

So you say 'scrap the legal system' because of this?
Are you claiming that the majority of eye witnesses are having to describe precisly what they saw down to the smallest detail?
I hope not.
Clearly the majority of cases an eye witness tells about what he saw. Ie:

"A fight broke out, and I saw Wolram pull a knife from his pocket. He then went on to stab violently Mr Smith, there was blood everywhere."

Not:
"A fight broke out, in the corner of my eye the sun was at 9degrees above the horizons, 5 seaguls were flying past a tree which had 3425 brown leafs and 345 green leafs. Wolram put his right hand into his pocket and took a steal alloy knife of exactly 10cm long out, this whole movement took exactly 3.34s. 1 eyebrow then went up and a lip move 3 mm to the right... etc etc

A good analogy is the ref in foot ball, was he right in calling an foul, the TV
proves him wrong, will the results be changed? NO.

wolram said:
So would will you testify in a court of law that your version of an event you saw is accurate?
I don't think I could.

And the more I would think about the witnessed event, the more, I think, I would imagine parts which weren't there.

My mind's not rigged for remembering things in great detail.

J77 said:
I don't think I could.

And the more I would think about the witnessed event, the more, I think, I would imagine parts which weren't there.

My mind's not rigged for remembering things in great detail.

For sure you think as i do, people must think how accurate they can recall events before they can condem another.

wolram said:
For sure you think as i do, people must think how accurate they can recall events before they can condem another.
This is definitely a problem with eyewitness accounts. I remember all the conflicting reports when the Maryland sniper was on the loose...it was a white van, no a white car, no a light colored car...I think it ended up being some old, dark-colored car, while all the police were on the lookout for a white van. :rolleyes:

Then there's sorting out what did a person really saw, and what they've added in their mind to fill in after the fact. For example, you see someone in a hooded sweatshirt run from a bank as the alarms go off. They catch some kid around the corner with a hooded sweatshirt. Is that the person you saw running from the bank? And is he the person who just tried to rob the bank? A lot of people would jump to the conclusion that the person they saw running was the one who robbed the bank, and the kid wearing similar clothing is the same one they saw running, even if it's the popular clothing style every kid is wearing. Nevermind that the person trying to rob the bank walked out wearing slacks, a nice shirt, and tie, and the kid running from the bank was just running scared when he realized it was being robbed.

Then there's sorting out what did a person really saw, and what they've added in their mind to fill in after the fact. For example, you see someone in a hooded sweatshirt run from a bank as the alarms go off. They catch some kid around the corner with a hooded sweatshirt. Is that the person you saw running from the bank? And is he the person who just tried to rob the bank? A lot of people would jump to the conclusion that the person they saw running was the one who robbed the bank, and the kid wearing similar clothing is the same one they saw running, even if it's the popular clothing style every kid is wearing. Nevermind that the person trying to rob the bank walked out wearing slacks, a nice shirt, and tie, and the kid running from the bank was just running scared when he realized it was being robbed.

Sure, but you wouldn't build a legal case on that would you?

Anttech said:
Sure, but you wouldn't build a legal case on that would you?
People do. Of course, the job of the defense attorney is to ferret out the impossibility of the eye witness having seen what they claim to have seen from where they were watching. But, as the article Wolram cited indicates, once someone starts to fill in details in their own memory, whether they were truly witnessed or not, it gets harder to sort out which ones they really saw and which they filled in from talking to others. This is one reason the cops try to separate witnesses and interview them before they've had a chance to talk to one another, because it's the only way they can sort out which details were really observed, and which they filled in for each other by discussing an incident.

Look in S and D would you agree with what people said they saw, Very astute people can interpret things wrongly.

1. What qualities make someone a good witness?

A good witness should be observant, have a good memory, and be able to clearly and accurately communicate what they saw or heard. They should also be honest and unbiased in their testimony.

2. How can I improve my skills as a witness?

To improve your skills as a witness, practice being observant and paying attention to details in your surroundings. You can also work on strengthening your memory by regularly recalling details from past events. Additionally, you can take a public speaking class to improve your communication skills.

3. What should I do if I witness a crime?

If you witness a crime, you should first ensure your own safety and then immediately call the police. It is important to stay at the scene and provide the police with as much information as possible, such as a description of the perpetrator and any relevant details about the crime.

4. Can I be a good witness even if I didn't see the entire event?

Yes, you can still be a good witness even if you didn't see the entire event. Your testimony can still be valuable if you saw any part of the event or noticed any important details. It is important to report what you did see accurately and to not make assumptions about what you may have missed.

5. What are some common mistakes witnesses make that can affect their credibility?

Some common mistakes witnesses make include exaggerating or fabricating details, making assumptions or guesses, and letting their emotions or personal biases influence their testimony. It is important for a witness to stick to the facts and avoid adding their own opinions or interpretations.